Support Forums

Full Version: need a VPS recommendation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
looking to move from simple shared hosting to a VPS package...anyone know of a company that offers good rates and reliable services?
Can you give a little more information? Budget, do you need management, OS, Control Panel, location you'd prefer the servers. What kind of a site do you run? Disk Space/Bandwidth requirements. CPU/RAM requirements.
(10-18-2009, 02:00 PM)Grizzly Wrote: [ -> ]Can you give a little more information? Budget, do you need management, OS, Control Panel, location you'd prefer the servers. What kind of a site do you run? Disk Space/Bandwidth requirements. CPU/RAM requirements.

budget- hoping to stay below and/or close to $40-50/month

management- we can manage the vps on our own

os- it doesn't really matter

location- USA

sites- we run the largest political site in Pennsylvania and are working on an indexing site for liberty and constitutional sites.
LayeredTech, Rackspace, or Softlayer are pretty good. For that much possible traffic you're not going to get one with good hardware for that low. Expect to pay about 100 bucks a month or more. You may even want to looks into cloud computing. It's the cheaper alternative to a dedicated server.
http://servercomplete.com/ I've used them and haven't had any problems. It's semi managed so you still have complete freedom but if you need something they'll help solve it.

They have an unmanaged service as well but I forget the site for it.
I use Linode.com. They are very good, very good support, good prices and a very easy to use interface.
Nice thing about layeredtech is you have FULL control over your server. Want a faster HDD? Call them up and tell them to put a new one it. DDoS threat? Call them up to shut down the cluster. Also, I recommend a dedicated. You will have all the VPS features with the ability to do what ever the hell you want with it.
A dedicated is out of their price range, at least what the guy said. I'd recommend the same thing though, because with a VPS you're going to see a big performance loss.

@OP, I'd recommend you head over to www.webhostingtalk.com and take a look at their offers section.
(10-19-2009, 05:01 AM)Jamza Wrote: [ -> ]I use Linode.com. They are very good, very good support, good prices and a very easy to use interface.
I am using vps service from http://vpswebserver.com for one year and i would say they are best in vps field currently they are providing 50% discount i would suggest you to check their plans.
Pages: 1 2