Support Forums

Full Version: I'm not committed enough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I feel like I'm wasting my life so far. I'm 18 and I'm going in circles in college I've already changed programs twice. I have another year left minimum before Im done college and even then, this is a general studies program so I don't know what I will do. I don't really have any particular interests at the moment. My problem is that I'm really lazy. If I start something, it's really rare that I'll finish it. It's really making me feel like I'm standing still while everyone is moving forward. I'm getting old so fast and I don't have a clue what I wanna do yet. I'm so stressed out you can't imagine what I'm going through right now. I need help finding a passion or a trade that I will stick to and not back down from. First i wanted to go into computer sciences but then I got scared because of all the hard work and the math involved. I have very little willpower. I've taken aptitude tests with my guidance counselor and the results were vague. It didn't point me to anything in particular, just my strengths. How can I not be lazy anymore? I want to do something with my life but I'm just too afraid of having to work too hard for it and thats really sad personally. I need a serious wake up call before it's too late.

I'd appreciate well thought-out replies please. Also, try to reply if you're older than me because chances are that if you've never been in such a situation, you won't be able to offer me helpful advice or tips. Please ASAP.
Well, realising that is your first step. Change your attitude towards work and you'll have to find your own motivation; it differs from person to person. ~18 is the age where you experiment and start to choose your path in life, don't be afraid to switch courses if you feel they are more comfortable.

But yeah, motivation is the key, and you have to find your own thing that motivates you to do work.
Yes your still young and I have something with my life I have to work with you have to keep on fighting.
(03-30-2011, 11:24 PM)Intel Wrote: [ -> ]you'll have to find your own motivation

I don't know how to do that. Or if I should just find a job that pays well. A lot of my friends are just getting high paying jobs but I'd rather get a mediocre job and half-way enjoy it.
What are your main interests? There must be something you really love doing.
(03-31-2011, 05:20 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]What are your main interests? There must be something you really love doing.

I pirate movies and tv shows for my family and friends. That's the biggest hobby I have. But besides that I don't know.
I have never been in your situation exactly, but I do not what it feels like to be lazy. This should be your wake up call. I'm only a freshmen in high school and I've had three "wake-up" calls and I'm still not studying. My last one was yesterday when I realized I'm not doing good in two classes and the marking period is almost over.

You need motivation, you say you cannot find that yourself...but then you aren't trying hard enough. I can't tell you how to pick a good college course for you or how to get a good job; but I'm telling you this now you need to realize (and you have realized) that you're getting older by the second and you need to step it up. Sorry for being rude, but I'm talking about myself in a way as well. You need to finish a college course, try a sport, start a stupid and fun project and finish, etc. Do something that'll kick-start your motivation.
Try to find your motivation. I know this seems hard, as it truly is. You must really think deep down inside you and decide what makes you happy, and what you love to do. If you aren't sure, go out and try new things. Discover yourself.
Can somebody explain the UK education system to me (I'm guessing that's where you're from?)? I'll be more than happy to provide advice after educating myself on the matter. Smile
(03-31-2011, 01:02 PM)Scalise Wrote: [ -> ]Can somebody explain the UK education system to me (I'm guessing that's where you're from?)? I'll be more than happy to provide advice after educating myself on the matter. Smile

I'm from Canada not the UK. What would you like to know?
Pages: 1 2