Support Forums

Full Version: The Welcome Mat, AKA Déjà vu Section.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it just me or are most introduction threads in this section just déjà vu over and over again? Out of maybe 20 threads 1 thread is genuine and there is a person welcoming themselves, telling us a bit about themselves (more than I'm from HF or I live in Country X), and SF members are welcoming them by actually expanding on the OP (besides Hey, enjoy your stay, read the rules, welcome).

Is this section just a place to increase your post count by welcoming new members with a brief generic hello? And I don't mean to insult the kind SF members that are welcoming people, I do agree that most (all?) of the time the OP is not expanding on their thread and that is in fact their fault.

Discuss?

EDIT: Oops, never mind about the post count.
What you have to remember is when you're introducing yourself to a new forum that you've joined. You don't want to give too much information about yourself away. I personally like a certain amount of anonymity on the internet. I'm sure that others do too.
Gives new users a sense of being welcomed and showing Sf has an active userbase.
(03-26-2011, 03:17 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: [ -> ]What you have to remember is when you're introducing yourself to a new forum that you've joined. You don't want to give too much information about yourself away. I personally like a certain amount of anonymity on the internet. I'm sure that others do too.

Absolutely. Also, when joining a new community, the introduction post is usually the first thread for the new member, often as a way of seeing how other forum members respond.

(03-26-2011, 03:21 PM)Laugh Wrote: [ -> ]Gives new users a sense of being welcomed and showing Sf has an active userbase.

Even if there isn't much to respond to, most new members appreciate it when they are warmly welcomed. It is also a good tradition to have, since they will also be likely to welcome other new members in future.
I don't really see it like that Smile Just a good way to say hello Smile
How much of SF do you think is made up of HF members?
(03-26-2011, 10:59 PM)SeePlusPlus Wrote: [ -> ]How much of SF do you think is made up of HF members?

99%
(03-26-2011, 03:17 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: [ -> ]What you have to remember is when you're introducing yourself to a new forum that you've joined. You don't want to give too much information about yourself away. I personally like a certain amount of anonymity on the internet. I'm sure that others do too.

I wouldn't call something along the lines of
"Hey, I'm GenericName2130213 from CountryX, Glad to be here."
an appealing form of anonymity when introducing yourself.

(03-26-2011, 10:59 PM)SeePlusPlus Wrote: [ -> ]How much of SF do you think is made up of HF members?

How is this relevant to the OP?