Support Forums

Full Version: How to Make Your Facebook Profile 100% Private
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tired of people seeing your wall, friends, images, or status updates? This will solve it for you. Facebook makes it pretty hard to make your profile 100% private (they've been working on it) so here's a quick tutorial on making it totally private.

Why is this helpful? For example I posted on my wall "heroin is life" and had to get a drug test for heroin. I also took a picture of what someone wrote in a stall of the bathroom and put it on Facebook. I got suspended and blamed. And what most of you fear most; social life being ruined and dox. This will make it so only friends can see your stuff.

Let's begin:

1. First click Account and then Privacy Settings
[Image: a5e7a4609795791180fd6b97b14ebb31.png]
These are my privacy settings:

2. Where it says "Connecting on Facebook" click on view Settings. Make it these settings or something similar:
[Image: 7bc0b1277abec6f1ef0a325dbcf61f27.png]

3. Next click Customize settings under "Sharing on Facebook"
3a. Under "Things I share" put these settings
[Image: 4504c4b6f89080ee46a3968ac9beb881.png]
3b. Under "Things others share" put these settings
[Image: 5ba16cc965d9a1f1c81fa6b041f5871e.png]
But click Edit settings on "Photos and videos I'm tagged in" and make sure it says "Friends Only"
3c. Under "Contact Information" put these settings:
[Image: cf79961a5a306159ecc02b632f2d00da.png]
To make it say "Only me" click the arrow and click "Customize" and you'll have another choice.

I hope this helped some people beat online privacy!
Those are same settings as mine, nice tutorial.
Very nice tut, Laugh. I personally won't use this, but it is a well made tut and will help a lot of people.
Good tutorial for the privacy-conscious. It is also worthwhile to check for any new settings or options at each Facebook upgrade.
Kind of common sense. I think Facebook make it quite easy to make your profile private to be honest.

I use the same settings as you've showed, only I also make it so that people can't search for me.
If somebody want's to add me a friend, they will have to either ask me to add them, or, they'll have to be a friend of a friend of mine.
(03-13-2011, 08:37 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]Kind of common sense. I think Facebook make it quite easy to make your profile private to be honest.

I use the same settings as you've showed, only I also make it so that people can't search for me.
If somebody want's to add me a friend, they will have to either ask me to add them, or, they'll have to be a friend of a friend of mine.

Well when I wrote this tutorial it was VERY hard to make everything 100% private. It is a lot easier now, though.
(03-13-2011, 08:37 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]Kind of common sense. I think Facebook make it quite easy to make your profile private to be honest.

Profiles are not private by default, and I think many users are unaware or unfamiliar with the options.

(03-13-2011, 08:37 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]I use the same settings as you've showed, only I also make it so that people can't search for me.

That reminds me: users have the option of opting out from search engines results. It is on a separate page.

nice tut man.. Smile
To add onto this, facebook will revert your privacy settings sometimes upon updates, so you may not notice that they have changed.
Thanks for the tutorial, this is pretty useful.
Pages: 1 2