Support Forums

Full Version: Blu Ray & 360 = possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It's been a good few months since we last heard the words "Blu-ray" and "Xbox 360" uttered in the same sentence. It's a rumour that just refuses to die. I mean, why would it though, there seems to be something there. That is especially clear when bigwigs like Microsoft's CEO, Steve Ballmer, goes so far as to pretty much confirm it in a recent interview.

Talking to Gizmondo, Ballmer was asked whether they had considered putting Blu-ray in the Xbox 360, to which he responded, "Well I don't know if we need to put Blu-ray in there — you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories."

Pretty straightforward and open admission there, but how that will pan out remains to be seen. It's obviously going to be external though, he was clear on that much.

What was the official Microsoft PR response though?

Well their official line in response to Ballmer's statements was a little less frank, yet not entirely dismissive. The Microsoft spokesperson told Gizmondo, "Our immediate solution for Blu-ray-quality video on an Xbox 360 is coming this fall with Zune Video and 1080p instant-on HD streaming. As far as our future plans are concerned, we're not ready to comment."

As Gizmondo quite rightly points out, there are two possible responses here; flat out denial or no comment. One quashes the rumour, the other fuels it. This is most certainly the latter.
I don't think this will happen. It would be nice though.
As he said, very unlikely to happen...
Microsoft is too much of a money hungry company to add Blueray, which will cost alot to put in the Xbox 360's.

There's a possibility though, we never know.
Microsoft doesn't see the need to add Blu-Ray compatibility at the moment. They'll just continue adding useless features to the 360 to justify that it is just as good as the PS3. They've never focused on graphics and nothing tells me they will start now.
Wouldn't ever happen, Sony won't even let Geohot do his thing, what makes you think that would happen? And I personally thing that the console generation is about to die.
It is probably possible to mod a Blu-Ray player into an Xbox, but Microsoft probably won't be selling Xbox's with them pre-installed.
Quote:Wouldn't ever happen, Sony won't even let Geohot do his thing, what makes you think that would happen? And I personally thing that the console generation is about to die.

Lead designer for the Windows 7 mobile phone said directly that if geohot wanted to "play around" with the software, that they would give him a phone directly. If anything, they're welcoming geohot with open arms. To me this shows that microsoft is more willing to accept things like this many other companies.
I hope it would, would buy it Smile
Maybe in the next Gen of xbox, but ATM, no.
It'd be epic though Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3