Support Forums

Full Version: Wiping it clean
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm hopelessly useless with computers, And i need some help.

This is a windows xp, and i need to know if there's any way to wipe the computer clean, bringing it to like, an all new state, as if it's never been used. I dont care about keeping any of my old files, music, things like msn or anything.

Thanks, I hope i'm not wasting your time.
(10-16-2009, 08:16 PM)GxTwitch Wrote: [ -> ]I'm hopelessly useless with computers, And i need some help.

This is a windows xp, and i need to know if there's any way to wipe the computer clean, bringing it to like, an all new state, as if it's never been used. I dont care about keeping any of my old files, music, things like msn or anything.

Thanks, I hope i'm not wasting your time.

Well, you can format your drives but that will delete everything, including XP.

The only way to really accomplish this is if you reinstall XP (this requires your disc) or a new operating system. You can download a Linux distro for free if you want.

Anyways, if you just want to make your computer faster or something I suggest getting Advance System Care.
Where do I get Linux distro from? Smile
(10-16-2009, 08:31 PM)GxTwitch Wrote: [ -> ]Where do I get Linux distro from? Smile

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

That's Linux Mint. It's the most user friendly of all the distributions.

Basically, you just download it, burn it to a disc, and install it. If you want to get rid of XP do a clean install. If not you can use the partition manager and dual boot it, it's really easy. Do some searching if you don't know what dual-booting is.
Even re-installing Windows, could possibly leave certain data behind.

What you need, is a simple, free file shredding/space-wiping application.
This will definitely, purge all of the cluster-chains, the areas on the HD where the files are stored.
When you delete a file within Windows, it will usually only delete the file header, leaving the main body/data of the file intact,
residing in the cluster-chains, which could possibly be recovered, by using file recovery applications.

There are many free file shredding applications available, just Google for file shredders.

There is a litte application called BCWipe.

They describe using it, is a 'Military Grade' procedure.

It's a file shredder, but it also wipes drives/free space/swap file etc, as well, so for example,
you could wipe the free space on the drive, after you 'delete with wiping', the files.

The more passes, the less chance of it being recovered, bearing in mind , the old DoD standard is the 7 pass character rotation wiping,
and this app goes up to 100 passes, or maybe more, which would not really be necessary though imo, and would really take ages.

Download here:

http://www.jetico.com/wiping-bcwipe/

A 30 day trial though, lucky I got my version, full, ages ago.

There is also another free application here:

http://www.fileshredder.org/

There are very many more, if you Google for them, you will see them.

Hope it helps.
I just create new partitions a few times then reinstall there by deleting the 0 point. Thats all that is needed to delete data if im not mistaken.
But going back to OP question.
Fresh install mate. Simple and easy. Then you can configure how you like. Partitions etc etc.
(10-17-2009, 12:52 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]I just create new partitions a few times then reinstall there by deleting the 0 point. Thats all that is needed to delete data if im not mistaken.
But going back to OP question.
Fresh install mate. Simple and easy. Then you can configure how you like. Partitions etc etc.

Maybe I should have suggested installing the Windows OS again,
but the request seemed to be implying that he wanted to wipe the PC clean as if he was going to get rid of it, imo.
It was a little vague.

If you notice, the OP wanted to know how to wipe the PC clean.

He says it's a Windows OS, which he wants to clean, bringing it to
a new state, as if its never been used.

He wasn't really specific about whether he was going to keep the PC or not.

He also didn't specify, that he wanted a PC without any OS at all on it
but I am guessing that is not what he wants, and that he wants a PC with a new, clean Windows XP OS on it.

Installing Windows onto a new partiton, will do that.

Installing Windows onto an existing Windows partiton will also do that,
IF you put the new installation of Windows, into a new Windows folder, called, for example, Windows1.

This is handy, if you want to be able to multi-boot your PC.

He also says that he is totally useless with computers, so any suggestions of 'configuring partitons', mine included, probably won't mean a lot to him.

I mentioned BCWipe, as it is a secure file-shredding/disk-wiping application, that is useful in any case, even though I may not have suggested this in the first case,
I would have done so, if he had said that he wanted to get rid of the PC, after cleaning it.
Was just giving my opinion on the way i go about it. Certainly not for everyone. Just the way i like to do it.
Beauty of a forum. Get to know different methods and different ideas.
I guess i thought when he said
Quote:as if it's never been used. I dont care about keeping any of my old files, music, things like msn or anything.
it was implied a format and reinstall.
Format your drive using DBan, and then re-install your XP using your XP Disc.
Why not format using your xp disk?
Pages: 1 2