Support Forums

Full Version: Going to get a dog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I've finally convinced my parents to allow me to get (don't like buy/own, as they're living souls too) a dog. Preferably, I'd like a German Shepherd or a Staffordshire Bull Terrior. I have a few queries though that I'd like help on though.

One is what to do with the urine/poo. My back garden is mainly concrete blocks, but I could take a couple of them out for a soil spot, but burying poo/urine isn't the best option.

Another is if there's any animal shelters / charities I should get a dog from; I live in the UK. I could always buy a dog too, but I'd rather get one from a shelter.
There are lots of dog shelters in the UK. Try searching the internet for ones close to you.
You put the dog poo in the bin. lol
You do nothing with the urine if it's outside unless you want to throw water over it.
i'm getting one too! And do what untouch wrote Smile
I would suggest the German Shepard over the Staffordshire Bull, for its temperament.

Pedigree animals have a commercial value, so I have not seen many in shelters. I hope you will still get a shelter dog even if you can't find the exact breed.

Below are some UK directories which list shelters by region.

UK Animal Rescuers
Dog Rescue Pagesh
Dog's Trust

Remember that if you keep the dog outside, it will have to remain in the vicinity of its own waste while waiting for urine to dry and poo to be picked up. You should toilet-train your dog to use a litter pad in the backyard, and you can consider a smaller breed which are easier to clean up after.

Little Dog Rescue

Shelter staff can give you advice for the specific dog you finally choose. Keep in touch with them, and keep us updated when you get your new family member.
You ever had a dog before? I would suggest you to get German Sheppard,it's more familiar and friendly than Stafordshire Bull,stafordshire bull is friendly too,but as i said,if it is your first dog then get Sheppard.
It's your animal, you shouldn't mind throwing the crap in the bin lol. And they're some good poop-scoopers around.. You could get them Smile
Well a dog is a lot of responsibility and you also have to be in a house, if in a flat it must not bark if it barks the neighbors might complain about it. Well I also suggest you have a beautiful dog such as the Labrador or a Puppy.
dogs are so cute i hope ur getting a puppy
(02-24-2011, 12:43 PM)Maestro Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I've finally convinced my parents to allow me to get (don't like buy/own, as they're living souls too) a dog. Preferably, I'd like a German Shepherd or a Staffordshire Bull Terrior. I have a few queries though that I'd like help on though.

One is what to do with the urine/poo. My back garden is mainly concrete blocks, but I could take a couple of them out for a soil spot, but burying poo/urine isn't the best option.

Another is if there's any animal shelters / charities I should get a dog from; I live in the UK. I could always buy a dog too, but I'd rather get one from a shelter.
if you keep the dog in the backgarden i would´nt suggest you buy a german shepperd or any shepperd at all they need allot of excersise
i should know because i own a shepperd a mallinois its a belgian shepperd and if they dont get excersise they will destroy your house

and if you are going for a dog i suggest you do addopt a dog its the best here is a list of animal shelters
http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/