Support Forums

Full Version: If you wanna start up a forum...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just been playing with this idea, to start a new forum.
I know there's tons of forums, but I just thought it could be fun.

To start one, do you need to have any knowledge in stuff like myBB?
Or is it something, you can learn by reading a 30 minutes tutorial?

Also, would 100 USD be good to advertise with, just to start off by getting a few members?
To avoid wasting time and money, you should read as much as you can. You are not going to pick up all the necessary skills in 30 minutes. Some skills you will develop during the process of deciding on a topic, selecting a host, promoting your launch, and managing your community.

Save your 100 USD for a good hosting company and a domain name. Think carefully about your topic and your commitment.

Visit the Review section here, and the Showcase section of MyBB.com. It will give you an idea of the more common mistakes.
100 USD is great to start off with but use it wisely.

You don't need much experience. You gain knowledge as you go. Basic HTML & CSS knowledge is always very helpful though.

When I first started, if I ever got stuck with anything, I'd just ask for help somewhere. This adds to your "Knowledge Database". It means if you ever have that problem again, you know how to fix it.
yup, i have my forum and took me a little time to learn.
Nice replys guys, thanks.

Any place you would recommend me, to read about myBB?
I'd like to start learning now, then think of the subject while I'm learning.
Start with MyBB.com (the official site) and MyBBCommunity.com (an independent site).

Familiarise yourself with the software by launching a test forum, using free resources.
Good advice from Eve there. Setting up a test forum using free resources will help you get used to using MyBB a lot.

Experiment with customizing your theme & template, have a play around with adding plugins, and get used to using the Admin CP.

Setting up a test forum means you can try a lot of things, without being worried about making any major mistakes.
That's an awesome suggestion guys!
I'm thinking that this forum should be about anything computer related, and then some offtopic categories.
How does this sounds "TechsNSpecs"?
You could drop the S on Techs.

Also remember not to add very many offtopic categories to being with.
The more categories you have to begin with, the less active your forum will look.
You want your forum to look as active as possible so members are more inclined to register.

Yea, you got a point there.
Will add categories with times.

How does it sounds with out the S then?
"TechNSpecs".
Pages: 1 2