Support Forums

Full Version: [TUT] How To Make An Updater [VB.net]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[TUT] How To Make An Updater [VB.net]

Ok, so in most programs you might get that thing on the bottom or at top that says the version name, and if its out of date it will just simply say out of date. Well thats what im going to be teaching you. I will make this tutorial as simple to understand as possible.

What you need:
- Visual Basic 2010
- A Web Host
- FileZilla or any other FTP Client

Step 1
Add a Label, change the color to Web Green and change the title to the version.

Step 2
Add a LinkLabel, Make Visible False, change the LinkColor and VisitedLinkColor to Red, and title to something like "Outdated version :: Update now". Make sure the LinkLabel covers the Label.

THE CODING ( you will get the hole code in an image -leechers haha-try to right a little )

Step 3
Considering you have a website host, you need to get your FTP Account details, this can be found in the Cpanel of the host.

Make a new FTP account, or get an existing one. Then open FileZilla or the FTP Client of your choice, and put in the info you got from the site

Now that you are logged in you are ready for the next steps.

Step 4
Go on your desktop and create a new .TXT file (NotePad File)
In the Notepad we are going to be running this updater by the Build, and not the Version, but making it Visually look like it runs by the version.
A Build is normally a version, but not being decimals, but being an integer. So Version 1 would be build 1, and Version 1.1 would be build 2 and so on.

So what we do is we make a new text file, and write the number of the build you believe it is, mine will be "2", if your just making you program it should be "1"

Save the file as "Version" type being .txt, and then upload that file to your host using the FTP Client.

[Image: ipdater1.jpg]

the URL for that file, normally it would be http://hackforums/hakerDz/how to make and updater/.

- Build will be your current build. So while making this, your build should be the same number you put in your Version.txt file, in that case mine is 2.
- url is the URL of the txt

we're Done Smile.Hope it will help You
nice.. Its easy tho.
Good share man. This will help some people that are learning.
Thanks for this, good job posting a pictue so that people can't copy and paste
Thanks for this tutorial but you should add credits to the original creater ;D
I don't have a god damn web host. Full of crap brother, full of crap.
EDIT: By the Way Prince,

Give due credits: http://www.mpgh.net/forum/33-visual-basi...n-net.html

Thanks!
A nice tutorial, but why didn't you give credits?
Nice tutorial!
I follow that and make my own updater, thanks
nice, thanks for sharing it with us
Pages: 1 2 3