Support Forums

Full Version: The original System?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've always been wondering, what was the first gaming system ever made? I always thought it was the gameboy, but there proboblay has to be even older. The first system must look like a dinosaur. Your thoughts of what it is?

Im saying its the gameboy.

Also post an image!

[Image: flyety.gif]
I think it was pacman. A small black an white pacman game.
(02-11-2011, 05:23 PM)Bananankage Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was pacman. A small black an white pacman game.

I dont think that counts as a system, as it was a big gaming machine. The size of a vending machine! They did make a portable version, so yeah. I guess the Pacman might be it.
Pong.
As with most first-generation systems, the earliest video game consoles were not developed for home users, but for research and commercial purposes.

In 1951, Nimrod was the first computer designed specifically to play an electronic game. Ferranti employees John Bennett and Raymond Stuart-Williams created the system to fulfill a pledge by their company, to contribute to the Festival of Britain's Exhibition of Science.

[Image: nimrod.jpg]

Nimrod. Image from Wired.

From 1961 to 1962, the first video game was written. Spacewar! was programmed by Harvard students and later displayed to the public at an MIT exhibition.

Spacewar! became the basis for commercial video game systems by several companies. The first commercial system was the arcade game Computer Space, by Nutting Associates in 1970. Its creators went on to found the Atari company.

[Image: computerspace-2.jpg]

Image from printliberation.com

Also see this visual timeline and this book.
My god. That must've tooken you along while to type that up.
I see why you're a moderator Tongue

Thanks for informing us.
Wow thats some old crap gameboy advance
that's not even the oldest gameboy lol
[Image: gameboy_original.jpg]

Haha, the memories :')
I think the first home video game console was the Magnavox Odyssey.

Quote:The Magnavox Odyssey is the world's first home video game console. It was first demonstrated on May 24, 1972 and released in August of that year, predating the Atari Pong home consoles by three years.

The Odyssey was designed by Ralph Baer, who began around 1966 and had a working prototype finished by 1968. This prototype, known as the Brown Box, is now at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.

[Image: odyssey1600x1200.jpg]
It was asteroids. They used the pixel-gun in the RGB monitors to just make simple dots that represented asteroids