Support Forums

Full Version: Homelessness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a friend on the other side of the country right now who is currently homeless. He's 19, and transgendered, meaning he feels like he should naturally be a female. However, his mom is against this and things got bad and he was kicked out of his house. He's got some friends, but nobody can give him a place to stay. He stayed at a friend's place for a weekend, but due to a misunderstand with parents he can't really stay there anymore.

So right now he has decided to go back to high school to graduate in hopes that it'll help him get a job, which is difficult enough because he doesn't have a legal street address and employers are sketchy when it comes to any kind of trans* people. Right now he's sleeping outside wherever he can.

One can imagine that all this stress would have a negative effect on him; he seems very depressed and at times suicidal. He has said that if it weren't for his friends, he might've been gone days ago. Everyone is trying to do all they can for him, including the high school, but unfortunately that doesn't include a place to stay. I'd give him a place to stay if I had a place to stay, but I'm currently on the opposite end of the country.

I keep encouraging him to keep taking this obstacle on one step at a time, so he can get to where he wants to be and live life as the person he wants to be. Things are still stressful for him however, and he says that staying at a homeless shelter would push him over the edge. Personally, I think he should try not to be picky when it comes to his situation, but I'm sure nobody is in love with the idea of staying at a homeless shelter.

Is there anything he can do? I met him literally a few days ago, but he seems like he needs a chance to be who he wants to be and not be homeless doing it. He's managed to stay in contact using library computers. He has a cell phone and PSP on him, but I don't know if he has the chargers or if his batteries are dead by now.

Update 1:
My friend is in California. Last I heard from other friends was that he is trying to get back into his parent's home and get into Job Corps which is an education/training program thing to help people get jobs and their GED I guess. I haven't heard from him today, so I don't know how that is going. Right now he's hopping around friends' places for food. Also, he's made the decision to forget his endeavors to being the female he would like to be for now simply so he can get back home and stabilize himself. I'll post more info when I get it. He usually hops on the computers at the public library to talk to people.

Update 2:
Okay, so the word is that his parents would not let him back in the house, but he is moving in with another friend. By the looks of it, he'll be there for the next couple of months. Annnd he's confirmed this via Facebook so he seems to be in an okay place for now.
Well, this is sad to read and by saying that i hope all the best for your friend. What comes to your question if there is anything he can do, depending on the country you live, maybe he could get into a safe house(Not sure if it's spelled that way) or something as he is going to college which is already proving that he is a good citizien and not doing anything criminal on the streets. That might help him on his way to graduating and getting a job to get his own house.

~J4mmy
being homeless sucks..
minimum wage/drug money can get you a studio.
Source: been their done that
Which state is she located in? It is great that she has the support of her high school, as they will be able to provide references which some organizations will require.

Your friend is in an extremely vulnerable situation, and although she is getting emotional support from friends, what she needs right now are practical solutions for problems like shelter and food. In the medium-term, she will benefit from being a part of a local community, preferably through work, study or apprenticeship.

Stay strong. Empathy takes emotional resources, and to be there for your new friend, you will need to look after your own feelings, too. Homelessness is a problem with no solution in sight, and if you can focus on helping individuals you will have made a socially responsible choice.
My friend is in California. Last I heard from other friends was that he is trying to get back into his parent's home and get into Job Corps which is an education/training program thing to help people get jobs and their GED I guess. I haven't heard from him today, so I don't know how that is going. Right now he's hopping around friends' places for food. Also, he's made the decision to forget his endeavors to being the female he would like to be for now simply so he can get back home and stabilize himself. I'll post more info when I get it. He usually hops on the computers at the public library to talk to people.
He needs to realize that as hard as it is, breaking down and staying at a shelter is his best chance for survival and success. Explain that no one will think less of him, and we all reach our personal rock bottoms. Be there for him, its the only thing you can do...
I'd blame the parents. The parents have to accept him\her no-matter what they do. Thats their child that they put on the streets, They should feel ashamed and guilty. Leaving someone on the streets is like basicly dumping them in the ocean. It means they dont care. Worst parents ever.
(02-11-2011, 04:24 PM)JDBar Wrote: [ -> ]My friend is in California. Last I heard from other friends was that he is trying to get back into his parent's home and get into Job Corps which is an education/training program thing to help people get jobs and their GED I guess. I haven't heard from him today, so I don't know how that is going. Right now he's hopping around friends' places for food. Also, he's made the decision to forget his endeavors to being the female he would like to be for now simply so he can get back home and stabilize himself. I'll post more info when I get it. He usually hops on the computers at the public library to talk to people.

It sounds like he is not in an urgent state of neglect, which is a relief. Keep us updated.
Okay, so the word is that his parents would not let him back in the house, but he is moving in with another friend. By the looks of it, he'll be there for the next couple of months. Annnd he's confirmed this via Facebook so he seems to be in an okay place for now.