Support Forums

Full Version: [Firefox] Search different sites right from your address bar.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
NOTE: This tutorial is for Firefox.

Hello.

So, this is probably well known, but if not, it'll help you greatly. In short, this tutorial is over being able to assign a letter (or letters) to search a website, so you can type like "[letter(s)] [search term]" from your address bar and it'll search that site. So, if I assigned 'sf' to supportforums, I could type, for example, "SF firefox help" to search SF for "firefox help". Let's get started.

1. Go to the site you want to do this with. I'll use Youtube as an example.

2. Right-click the search bar (where you enter the text to search) and click 'Add a keyword for this search':

3. Enter whatever you want to call it under "Name" (it can be anything; I used Youtube as an example). Then, enter what you want the keyword to be under 'keyword'. I personally use 'y'.:

4. You're done! To test it, type, for example, "y Tim Mcgraw" in your address bar. You should arrive here.

Enjoy.

Originally posted by me on Supportforums.net
(10-16-2009, 02:15 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]Hello.

So, this is probably well known, but if not, it'll help you greatly. In short, this tutorial is over being able to assign a letter (or letters) to search a website, so you can type like "[letter(s)] [search term]" from your address bar and it'll search that site. So, if I assigned 'sf' to supportforums, I could type, for example, "SF firefox help" to search SF for "firefox help". Let's get started.

1. Go to the site you want to do this with. I'll use Youtube as an example.

2. Right-click the search bar (where you enter the text to search) and click 'Add a keyword for this search':

3. Enter whatever you want to call it under "Name" (it can be anything; I used Youtube as an example). Then, enter what you want the keyword to be under 'keyword'. I personally use 'y'.:

4. You're done! To test it, type, for example, "y Tim Mcgraw" in your address bar. You should arrive here.

Enjoy.

This is very useful and I'm sure many people (myself included) didn't know that this feature even existed. I'll definitely use this in the future. Thank-you.
thank you for the tut. very useful indeed!
I'm going to bump this.
Thank you for this wonderful share Elektrisk. This will be very helpful.
Super tutorial tho.. Thank's..
I used to manually change my search engine (the icons at the upper right corner). This is indeed very helpful.
I'd like for others to see this.
You should add that it does not work for GoogleChrome browser.
(05-18-2010, 11:03 PM)daneasaur Wrote: [ -> ]You should add that it does not work for GoogleChrome browser.

Ah. I can't believe I didn't state it was only for Firefox. I'll fix that now. Thanks Smile
Pages: 1 2