Support Forums

Full Version: Upgrade to Dedi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok i like most people have several shared hosting accounts. Several sites and forums etc etc.
Well a friend wants to go half with me and get a dedicated server.
I have looked into prices and it seems support is the key here.
But the price difference is huge..
Just a dedi i can get for $22 per month. Pretty cheap i thought.
But when you get added support then its more like $155 per month.
Even more if you want added features.
Whats your opinion here guys and gals?
Go a dedi by itsself and work from there or just suck it up and pay the couple of hunderd a month for it?
Here is the plans i am looking at.
Code:
http://www.crazydomains.com.au/servers/index.html
I personally would go buy the dedi and do the rest yourself, but it depends on how much of a quick learner you are i guess, or you could have the support for X amount of time.
I used to run my own server from home and my friend also runs his own server from home.
So we have some experience in this. I have never owned a dedi and therefor i dont know how much control we would actually have.
If i am able to install whatever i want onto the server then i guess that is enough. But if they limit the control some what then i would struggle i think.
Might ring them up and see what control i really have.

*edit*

Spoke to the host. Smile Yep im satisfied its good enough. I am gunna get me a dedi...... YAY!!!!!
[Image: 12556656572099_dedi.jpg]
Getting the Second package My Server Plus unless anyone can give me a better price etc elsewhere??
Congrats, keep me posted on how things go, and if you setup any forums pm me the links I will check them out. Smile

Also, good luck on your adventures.
I don't know who told you this, but that is not a dedicated server man. And you're going to see a HUGE drop in performance if you go to this plan. You will have 256 MB of RAM guaranteed. That is what you need to look at. Burstable RAM just means if no one is using it you can call on it. You are looking at a Virtual Private Server. Which is basically a dedi, only with very limited resources. You're still sharing a server with people man. And what control panel are you using? For that $22/month you better not have cPanel on there, you need to have 512MB for any kind of non active site. You're going from servers that probably have 6-12 GB RAM to only having 256 or 512 MB.
You'd be better off with pack 3, but it is kind of steep, i'll ask a few of my friends for you, and see what kind of prices they will do.
Also, I always like to pay for management from the host. Whether I use it or not, that's a different story. I just like to have it there because generally hosts have Level III Server Techs that have been doing this for 20+ years lol. They will have WAY more knowledge than me. Not only that, if something goes wrong and you are paying for management, they can fix the issues for you quicker because they will, generally, have quick access to the server, or to the DC to get someone on the server.

The dedi I have I have from www.surpasshosting.com. They are a subsidiary of www.hostdime.com and are located in the Host Dime DC in Orlando, FL USA. A great location if your audience is world wide. If it's for your audience is mainly Australian, I can't really help you with that, as the only Australian host I knew of is now out of business lol.

You can see from the average hosts prices that it's definitely a VPS you have lol.

Edit: And pack 3 is quite steep for what little you get out of it. That's a $75/month MANAGED package on a 12GB RAM server with a quad core processor.
I didn't even know crazy domains did dedi, I use them a lot, fairly good Australian hosting IMO.
Yea thanks for the advice guys. I have decided to investigate a little further before i purchase. Hoping to tomorrow now so i have the next 12 hrs or so to look around.
I do want to be hosted in Australia just to keep the dollars in Australia.
Yea i know its a virtual server. But seperate ip address is what we really want. 2 atleast. Virtual or not i dont care but performance is a bigger problem than i thought. Perhaps i will call host again and see.
And i like Tim have many domains on Crazy and there pretty good. Thats why i generally always use them. Plus there generally quite cheap.
I really need to investigate the ram requirements for a forum for example as i would be running 1 atleast.
But to be honest we were thinking of even more so i guess the plan is going to have to be a lot bigger Sad
You don't have a site that warrants a dedicated. More trouble than it's worth. You should ONLY get a dedi if you have a purpose for it and you require it.

You can run all your sites on Dreamhost or Hostgator just fine without having to worry about how the server works.
Pages: 1 2