Support Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to upgrade my processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm currently using an Alienware M11x with an Intel Core Duo processor.

Is it possible to upgrade to say Intel i7 Core processor?

At the moment it takes ages to render any of my projects out with Core Duo.

If it is possible, how do I go about upgrading?
I'm almost positive that the CPU for your laptop is soldered onto your motherboard. Also, your current motherboard socket and chipset does not support the Intel processors (i.e., i3, i5, i7).

So no. Sad
I'm pretty sure it is possible but I don't know how myself.
Search google may tell you something helpful.
(01-28-2011, 07:20 PM)Untouch Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure it is possible but I don't know how myself.
Search google may tell you something helpful.

Why are you stating that it is possible if you have no knowledge of the situation?

Posts like these are unnecessary. Nono
Well I know a friend who custom builds lots of computers and he's always updating the processor.
He has one of the newest i7 processors.
Not sure if he updates the motherboard too though.
(01-29-2011, 04:27 AM)Untouch Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if he updates the motherboard too though.

Thanks for the reply Deltron. Slightly disappointed that I can't upgrade it. Sad

Oh well
Did some research and you can upgrade it.
An alternative mathod is to overclock your processor which apparently for the Alienware M11x with an Intel Core Duo processor does make a big difference.

notebookreview.com Wrote:Both processors run at 1.3GHz by default and the frontside bus on both processors can be overclocked from 800MHz to 1066MHz thus creating an overclocked speed of roughly 1.73GHz to 1.6GHz with Intel SpeedStep
Alienware includes a simple overclocking option in the BIOS, so all you have to do is press F2 during startup and enable the overclocking feature. As long as you don't use alternative methods of overclocking this feature is part of the design of the M11x and is covered under warranty.

In terms of day-to-day activities the overclocked SU4100 processor in our review unit works flawlessly. The overclocked processor provides a noticeable speed boost over the default clock speed.
I don't think it is possible but you can look up on google and youtube and stuff my find some more info.
(01-29-2011, 10:02 AM)Untouch Wrote: [ -> ]Did some research and you can upgrade it.
An alternative mathod is to overclock your processor which apparently for the Alienware M11x with an Intel Core Duo processor does make a big difference.

Of course you can overclock it, but he was asking if he could upgrade to an i7 processor or not. And he can't. Omg
Pages: 1 2