Support Forums

Full Version: Mom has been acting up lately?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Get ready for this, because it's going to be looooong.

So I'm 18 and I have an almost 13 year old sister. Let me start off by saying, I feel really bad for my sister, and I'll explain why later. My mom has been acting up lately (past 1 or 2 years) ever since we lost our two story house due to financial problems. My dad used to be the only employed person in our family, making around 80k a year. Unfortunately, the company he worked for shut down, so this forced my mom to also get an $8 minimum wage job (she's a co-manager now, so she makes a little higher than that, but not much higher). My dad was receiving unemployment funds for a little while until he found himself a job at a Home Depot distribution center, only making around $12 an hour (much less than unemployment, but he didn't want to exploit the system). So yeah, a big drop in income, which was hard to adjust to. Thankfully though, he carpools the 45 minute commute with his friend. We're now living in a one story house, that I enjoy much better than our previous two story house for various reasons. One, it was becoming hard to pay every month, and two, I just don't like big houses. I'm the type of person that will live in a shack if I have to... I don't care how big the house is, as long as I have somewhere to live. Ever since we switched houses, she's been acting up. She has become more stressed, more depressed, more strict, etc. I hate to say this, but I think she's becoming crazy. She's been on stress/antidepressant pills (Paxil) for God knows how long now. She always tells me that she "misses the old house," and that she wants a bigger home.

Too be honest, the house we have now is perfectly fine. I mean, it's a place to live, what more can you ask for? For once in a long time, we've been getting our bills payed on time without any hardship, but yet, my mom just doesn't seem to get it. She's obsessed with bigger and better looking houses or something. She thinks she can just buy a house just like that, no problems whatsoever. The house problem is just one way she's been acting up.

So this is where I get to my sister. I feel that my sister has no life because my mom basically controls her. I've never seen anyone so strict like my mother. My sister has never been to any of her friends' houses because my mom makes up stupid excuses like "she's going to get raped," or "kidnapped." She won't even let her walk to the park with her friends. I've even had people tell me to my face that my mom is just too over reactive with things. She's OVER overprotective. My sister, however, talks back, and I think it's for the better. I back my sister up because she has brings up very good points when she complains to my mom. Now, my sister and I never had the best relationship as a sibling, but this is where I back her up because I know she's right. Every time my sister brings up a solid point, my mom comes up with some rhetoric bullshit that doesn't make any sense whatsoever and it kills me because she thinks she's right all of the time because she's our mother. My sister has no freedom at all. Zip, zero, nada, nothing. That's it for the sister part.

And there's some more..... Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, I'm a responsible person, I listen to her, but lately, she's been pushing my buttons for other reasons. For one, she's the laziest person I've ever seen. For example, some days she works from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM with a one hour lunch break. When she comes home on her break, the first thing she does is talk on the phone, for her entire break. She calls my family members (usually my aunts or her friends) and talks the ENTIRE time. She's addicted to the phone and the entire family is fed up with it. When she doesn't have work, she wakes up, and the first thing she does is go to the phone and starts talking to people. No f*cking joke, sometimes for a few hours at a time, without stopping. Call after call. This pisses me off because for one, sometimes she wakes me up for talking too loud, and for two, it seems like she just has no life. Now, aside from talking on the phone, after she gets off from work, she goes straight to her bed and literally watches the television (soap operas and awful movies on the Lifetime network)/talks on the phone until she goes to sleep (from 5:30 to 10:30). She seriously only gets up to use the bathroom or to grab a cup of tea, and that's it. Whenever the phone rings and it's not within her reaching capabilities, she yells at me and my sister to get the phone, and if we don't, she gets very, very angry. She won't even get up to get the God damn phone. Of course, neither me, nor my sister give her the phone because we're just completely fed up with her bullshit. For two, she likes to repeat things ALOT. For example, she'll ask me if I am hungry. I'll usually say no. She then proceeds to ask me the same exact question, word for word, 30 seconds later, no exaggeration. Of course, I say no. Then she does it for the third or fourth time, and I start to get a little furious. I ask her how many times she's going to repeat herself after getting an answer. You might be thinking, well how does this piss you off this bad? Well, anytime my sister and I ask her a question, it's like we're talking to a wall. We never get an answer until we do something outrageous, like yell, or poke her, or something real ridiculous. Now these questions aren't top secret. We ask her something simple like, "Hey, what time are you getting off of work tomorrow?" After asking her numerous times, she begins to yell. Well damn, now you know how I feel, right? Except I actually answer the question the first go around.

Anyway, I can go on and on and on with reasons. But the main point is, lately, I've been getting fed up with my mom. She annoys the living hell out of my sister and I. My main concern, really, is those f*cking pills she takes for stress. I don't think they're for the better, and they are probably killing her slowly. She just takes things way too seriously and can't just lay back and chill. Seriously, God help me, because I don't know what to do. As you can see, I'm quite fed up. I wouldn't have ever made this thread if I wasn't serious about it, but it has gotten to that point.

Sorry, no tldr version.
one thing that i think might be a missing link in this big picture of yours is....which you havent really mentioned.......what does your dad think about all of this?Have you ever spoken to him about it?Give it a go maybe he can help turn things around for all of you.Maybe there is something that you and your sister dont really know about which could be causing strain on your parents and they are both locking themselves in their own worlds and forgetting that it is causing you guys problems without even realising it.Your mum sounds very over-protective of your sister?do you live in a bad area or was it always like that, that your sister was nt aloud to do anything?Yet again i would say try consulting your dad or even then try getting your sister to ask your mum if she can do something whilst your dad is in the same room and get your dad to back her up against your mum.Maybe if he does this more often then your mum might back off just alittle bit and realise that as a growing young lady in her teens she also needs abit of freeedom.Im sorry to hear about the strain on your family and i hope things get better for all of you soon

if you ever need to ask advice or for help just PM me and ill be glad to see what i can do for you

See that wall of text you typed out? Show it to your dad, he is really the only one capable of getting through to your mom as she seems the type to just disregard peoples opinions based on age etc.
(01-18-2011, 07:42 AM)NinJa_12 Wrote: [ -> ]one thing that i think might be a missing link in this big picture of yours is....which you havent really mentioned.......what does your dad think about all of this?Have you ever spoken to him about it?Give it a go maybe he can help turn things around for all of you.Maybe there is something that you and your sister dont really know about which could be causing strain on your parents and they are both locking themselves in their own worlds and forgetting that it is causing you guys problems without even realising it.Your mum sounds very over-protective of your sister?do you live in a bad area or was it always like that, that your sister was nt aloud to do anything?Yet again i would say try consulting your dad or even then try getting your sister to ask your mum if she can do something whilst your dad is in the same room and get your dad to back her up against your mum.Maybe if he does this more often then your mum might back off just alittle bit and realise that as a growing young lady in her teens she also needs abit of freeedom.Im sorry to hear about the strain on your family and i hope things get better for all of you soon

if you ever need to ask advice or for help just PM me and ill be glad to see what i can do for you

My dad is aware of the situation. He also agrees that those pills she are taking are just a waste of time. He also sees that she makes the biggest deals out of the smallest things. ...And he makes fun of her for talking on the phone so much, although jokingly. And we actually live in a very nice area and I don't think anything in the past has changed her mind from being over protective. She has always been like that.

Thanks for the help!

caitiej

I feel so friggin bad for you cus I am 12 ya and I feel like my mom hates me right now and she just does like me cus I got a c+ in math but I usaully get As so I can see how that's upsetting but now she put up a sign on the cabinet called Cathlyns Comments and if I say that was stupid in front of her she rights it down on it and the time brb NonOmgOmgOmg
(01-18-2011, 02:54 AM)ElephantShoe Wrote: [ -> ]Get ready for this, because it's going to be looooong.

So I'm 18 and I have an almost 13 year old sister. Let me start off by saying, I feel really bad for my sister, and I'll explain why later. My mom has been acting up lately (past 1 or 2 years) ever since we lost our two story house due to financial problems. My dad used to be the only employed person in our family, making around 80k a year. Unfortunately, the company he worked for shut down, so this forced my mom to also get an $8 minimum wage job (she's a co-manager now, so she makes a little higher than that, but not much higher). My dad was receiving unemployment funds for a little while until he found himself a job at a Home Depot distribution center, only making around $12 an hour (much less than unemployment, but he didn't want to exploit the system). So yeah, a big drop in income, which was hard to adjust to. Thankfully though, he carpools the 45 minute commute with his friend. We're now living in a one story house, that I enjoy much better than our previous two story house for various reasons. One, it was becoming hard to pay every month, and two, I just don't like big houses. I'm the type of person that will live in a shack if I have to... I don't care how big the house is, as long as I have somewhere to live. Ever since we switched houses, she's been acting up. She has become more stressed, more depressed, more strict, etc. I hate to say this, but I think she's becoming crazy. She's been on stress/antidepressant pills (Paxil) for God knows how long now. She always tells me that she "misses the old house," and that she wants a bigger home.

Too be honest, the house we have now is perfectly fine. I mean, it's a place to live, what more can you ask for? For once in a long time, we've been getting our bills payed on time without any hardship, but yet, my mom just doesn't seem to get it. She's obsessed with bigger and better looking houses or something. She thinks she can just buy a house just like that, no problems whatsoever. The house problem is just one way she's been acting up.

So this is where I get to my sister. I feel that my sister has no life because my mom basically controls her. I've never seen anyone so strict like my mother. My sister has never been to any of her friends' houses because my mom makes up stupid excuses like "she's going to get raped," or "kidnapped." She won't even let her walk to the park with her friends. I've even had people tell me to my face that my mom is just too over reactive with things. She's OVER overprotective. My sister, however, talks back, and I think it's for the better. I back my sister up because she has brings up very good points when she complains to my mom. Now, my sister and I never had the best relationship as a sibling, but this is where I back her up because I know she's right. Every time my sister brings up a solid point, my mom comes up with some rhetoric bullshit that doesn't make any sense whatsoever and it kills me because she thinks she's right all of the time because she's our mother. My sister has no freedom at all. Zip, zero, nada, nothing. That's it for the sister part.

And there's some more..... Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, I'm a responsible person, I listen to her, but lately, she's been pushing my buttons for other reasons. For one, she's the laziest person I've ever seen. For example, some days she works from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM with a one hour lunch break. When she comes home on her break, the first thing she does is talk on the phone, for her entire break. She calls my family members (usually my aunts or her friends) and talks the ENTIRE time. She's addicted to the phone and the entire family is fed up with it. When she doesn't have work, she wakes up, and the first thing she does is go to the phone and starts talking to people. No f*cking joke, sometimes for a few hours at a time, without stopping. Call after call. This pisses me off because for one, sometimes she wakes me up for talking too loud, and for two, it seems like she just has no life. Now, aside from talking on the phone, after she gets off from work, she goes straight to her bed and literally watches the television (soap operas and awful movies on the Lifetime network)/talks on the phone until she goes to sleep (from 5:30 to 10:30). She seriously only gets up to use the bathroom or to grab a cup of tea, and that's it. Whenever the phone rings and it's not within her reaching capabilities, she yells at me and my sister to get the phone, and if we don't, she gets very, very angry. She won't even get up to get the God damn phone. Of course, neither me, nor my sister give her the phone because we're just completely fed up with her bullshit. For two, she likes to repeat things ALOT. For example, she'll ask me if I am hungry. I'll usually say no. She then proceeds to ask me the same exact question, word for word, 30 seconds later, no exaggeration. Of course, I say no. Then she does it for the third or fourth time, and I start to get a little furious. I ask her how many times she's going to repeat herself after getting an answer. You might be thinking, well how does this piss you off this bad? Well, anytime my sister and I ask her a question, it's like we're talking to a wall. We never get an answer until we do something outrageous, like yell, or poke her, or something real ridiculous. Now these questions aren't top secret. We ask her something simple like, "Hey, what time are you getting off of work tomorrow?" After asking her numerous times, she begins to yell. Well damn, now you know how I feel, right? Except I actually answer the question the first go around.

Anyway, I can go on and on and on with reasons. But the main point is, lately, I've been getting fed up with my mom. She annoys the living hell out of my sister and I. My main concern, really, is those f*cking pills she takes for stress. I don't think they're for the better, and they are probably killing her slowly. She just takes things way too seriously and can't just lay back and chill. Seriously, God help me, because I don't know what to do. As you can see, I'm quite fed up. I wouldn't have ever made this thread if I wasn't serious about it, but it has gotten to that point.

Sorry, no tldr version.

Here's my story....want to post it sorry. Ok so I have been "fighting" with my mom latley and I admit I have a diary.....I write in that because I have no one else to talk to about it anything....so I wrote in that I hate the way everyone is treating me. So my mom has somehow convinced me that everyone in my family hates me...like really hates me. So I got a bad grade in math so my teacher is allowing me to redo papers for extra credit. So I haven't been doing that when my parents expect me to...I admit I am lazy. Anyway I got really mad earlier this day cusmom puts up this stupid chart and got sent to my room. So I forget to grab my papers so I have to got downstairs. She runs out of her room and pulls my hair and says why are you running away. What the freakin heck are you talkin about I thought. I am pissed
tl;dr post

/thread.
Well to be honest I didn't read the entire post as I can't be bothered. But I'm sure you can find anything for your problem