Support Forums

Full Version: Favorites Start Menu Item as a Link [Not a Menu]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was curious if anyone knows how to add the "Favorites" Start menu item as a link, and not as a menu.

Right now, this is what my start menu looks like, but I need the "Favorites" (renamed and targetted to my "External Hard Drive" now) menu item to be displayed as a link instead. Right now the menu might be useful, but I want it as a link instead.

I've already gone through the registry looking for a certain key value to modify but I haven't found a location that will enable me to change that stupid limitation that Vista has with displaying it as a menu only.

[Image: sdfi.png]

I guess that could work, I know the registry locations for all of those start menu items, I just didn't know how to disable the Favorites item only displaying as a menu. It would be nice to have an extra slot in the start menu links if I could figure that out. But this solution will be a replacement for now, I'll just change the games link into my External HD.

Thanks for the reply Smile
As a link i do not think you can do that, since links are only like internet things not computer things
(01-15-2011, 10:46 PM)RRain Wrote: [ -> ]As a link i do not think you can do that, since links are only like internet things not computer things

No they're not, I know how to make a link to a website using the registry in the start menu. It can also be done on XP, But that isn't what I meant.

I know what you're thinking of, but I'm talking about a targetted link to a directory. Link vs. Menu form in the right pane means:

• Link: Takes you directly to the directory
• Menu: will display the directory without actually going to it within the start menu

If you enable Favorites on your start menu you will notice that it is one of the only ones that has this "menu" feature unless you enable others as menus instead of links.

Right now, it would have been better for me to have it as a link, but right now it shows as a menu. (Review the image preview I have given in my first post in this thread)

Still haven't figured out how to do it, but now i've changed the games link to link to the "Downloads" Folder in the User account. I've exported a reg file for the downloads version, and i've also made it a link to the "Videos" directory, so now at any time I can switch between the 2 depending on what I want in it's place in the start menu. Right now I have it set to link to "Downloads" though, and i've also edited a few of the icons that Vista had as it's default. It uses a dll file for the images, so all I had to do was replace the dll file location of the icon with the directory of an ico file on my computer.

I think I've got everything the way I want it now, after all that time of troubleshooting. I actually don't mind the menu view of my external hard drive as much anymore.

preview:
[Image: sdfed.jpg]