Support Forums

Full Version: [Suggestion] Help Documents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I cannot remember if I've posted this before but I've definitely had the idea in my head for ages.

Basically seeing as we're a community based around support and members helping other members I think it would perhaps be a good idea to incorporate the best user written guides in all the forum sections and add them into the sites help documents.

I just think it would be cool to have this resource to help members further. Just a nice little feature so if members need some quick advice, instead of browsing through pages and pages of threads they can just click on "help" find the forum name and select a guide.

I realize that it will take Omniscient some time to add each link individually but I could do half the work by compiling the list? I know Skill has got one running so we can use that too.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?
That's actually a nice idea.
The idea would be nice for users who want to know and get a better understanding of the site. I am for it.
Unfortunately, Supportforums covers a virtually endless number of topics. A user's situation and the solution to their problem(s) might be vastly different from another user's, even though their problems are of the same nature. Let's say one user has problems with depression that stems from losing his parents. Then, another user has depression that stems from not having friends. The advice given to these two people would be quite different, I'd think. How would we know which topic to include in the help documents? If we were to include all good guides covering different problems, it'd create quite a lengthy help document. If a user wants help, he will do a simple search or browse through a few pages of topics, I'm sure.

I am not saying your idea is bad.. but you must admit it'd be hard to create a concise guide that actually helped a lot of people.
(01-09-2011, 06:04 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, Supportforums covers a virtually endless number of topics. A user's situation and the solution to their problem(s) might be vastly different from another user's, even though their problems are of the same nature. Let's say one user has problems with depression that stems from losing his parents. Then, another user has depression that stems from not having friends. The advice given to these two people would be quite different, I'd think. How would we know which topic to include in the help documents? If we were to include all good guides covering different problems, it'd create quite a lengthy help document. If a user wants help, he will do a simple search or browse through a few pages of topics, I'm sure.

I am not saying your idea is bad.. but you must admit it'd be hard to create a concise guide that actually helped a lot of people.

Could we not make it somewhat like forum specific rules?
(01-09-2011, 06:04 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, Supportforums covers a virtually endless number of topics. A user's situation and the solution to their problem(s) might be vastly different from another user's, even though their problems are of the same nature. Let's say one user has problems with depression that stems from losing his parents. Then, another user has depression that stems from not having friends. The advice given to these two people would be quite different, I'd think. How would we know which topic to include in the help documents? If we were to include all good guides covering different problems, it'd create quite a lengthy help document. If a user wants help, he will do a simple search or browse through a few pages of topics, I'm sure.

All of that is very true Elektrisk, it would be a lot of pages compiled into one slob, and it may cause people sorrow saying that there thread wasn't as good as yours and wasn't put in the "Good Tutorial Thread Compilation"... I love the idea though.
(01-09-2011, 06:08 PM)Disruption Wrote: [ -> ]Could we not make it somewhat like forum specific rules?

That wasn't the OP's intent. He wanted a compilation of good guides for quick access.
(01-09-2011, 07:51 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]That wasn't the OP's intent. He wanted a compilation of good guides for quick access.
My apologies on that. Even though I said that, would that be a better usage of a Help Document on this site?
I think this could work. How about we have a list of the main guides for each kind of support?

Say, personal support:

Depression Guide
Confidence Guide

Etc. Wouldn't that work?
You've got the idea sort of.
Pages: 1 2