Support Forums

Full Version: I am a nurse - Ask me anything!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am a nurse from the Philippines and was trained and studied under USA standards so I'm pretty sure I can help you guys with your health and hospital related problems.

I'm not a doctor so I can't give you a diagnosis but I can give you a general overview of what you should be doing and what condition you "might" have

Disclaimer:
A visit to the clinic is waaaay better than my advice and I will probably tell you to visit and get labs anyway.
Curious what specialty in nursing you have?
My major is pre-nursing and I plan on being a nurse once I get out of college. My goal is to be a surgeon's nurse, or a nurse anesthetic. I understand that I have to work my way up to those positions, but do I really have to start out by clean peoples' asses and inserting catheters? Or is that just a myth?
My wife is an RN..in case you weren't aware.
(01-04-2011, 01:24 AM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]Curious what specialty in nursing you have?

I worked on the general ward but I like to think that I have a specialty with pediatrics (I love kids) and diabetes (we get a lot of diabetics here).

I also have three month experience in the OR but decided to resign as a nurse to try my hand at social media marketing. I haven't worked as a nurse for 4 months now and I think I'm doing well outside my nursing degree. Smile Decided to help people out (since this is support forums after all) and to keep me in the nursing game as well Big Grin
(01-04-2011, 01:25 AM)ElephantShoe Wrote: [ -> ]My major is pre-nursing and I plan on being a nurse once I get out of college. My goal is to be a surgeon's nurse, or a nurse anesthetic. I understand that I have to work my way up to those positions, but do I really have to clean peoples' asses? Or is that just a myth?

I'm not sure where you are from but here in the Philippines yeah, hehe. I cleaned a lot of asses but if you are working in the US for example they have Certified Nursing Assistants to do the dirty work for them.

Nursing anesthetics is nice (from what I heard) but you are oncall most of the time so you won't really get all the sleep that you so desire compared to regular shifting.

(01-04-2011, 01:28 AM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]My wife is an RN..in case you weren't aware.
That's nice to know! I hope she doesn't come home grumpy after a long days work.. What specialty does she have? and where is she working (country)?
Alright, thanks for the info. And yeah, I'm from the US. I'm a freshman in college so I'm just taking general ed classes for now. I don't take my upper division nursing classes until my third year and I wanted to get some info before I really make nursing my major. I think it'll take me a while to get used to the dirty work. As long as it gets me to my goal, I'll have no problem with that.

Originally, my major was Computer Science, but I keep hearing from multiple people that the field isn't stable. Not only that, but I thought programming would just be boring. I don't really like that kind of stuff, mainly because every time I try to learn it my self, I eventually get bored of it and set it aside. I decided to switch my degree to pre-nursing because it offers something dynamic. You get to see stuff that an average person doesn't really get to see.
(01-04-2011, 01:38 AM)ElephantShoe Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, thanks for the info. And yeah, I'm from the US. I'm a freshman in college so I'm just taking general ed classes for now. I don't take my upper division nursing classes until my third year and I wanted to get some info before I really make nursing my major. I think it'll take me a while to get used to the dirty work. As long as it gets me to my goal, I'll have no problem with that.

Originally, my major was Computer Science, but I keep hearing from multiple people that the field isn't stable. Not only that, but I thought programming would just be boring. I don't really like that kind of stuff, mainly because every time I try to learn it my self, I eventually get bored of it and set it aside. I decided to switch my degree to pre-nursing because it offers something dynamic. You get to see stuff that an average person doesn't really get to see.

Wow! we have the same exact situation. My passion was really in computers and programming. I started programming when I was like 11 or 12. That's the same thing my parents told me, computers and computer science is evolving too fast to be a stable job, they do have a point. So it took me 5 years to finish nursing. I flunked a semester because I tried to learn PHP and nursing at the same time.

I stopped working as a nurse 4 months ago and decided to try my hand a social media marketing. So far it's successful with SMM.. xD But incase this fails, there's always nursing to go back to.. The stuff you'll learn in school is the same things you'll learn as a real nurse. Try both and see which one you like more (after getting that nursing license). I am self studying programming at the moment too!
(01-04-2011, 01:44 AM)IamKris Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! we have the same exact situation. My passion was really in computers and programming. I started programming when I was like 11 or 12. That's the same thing my parents told me, computers and computer science is evolving too fast to be a stable job, they do have a point. So it took me 5 years to finish nursing. I flunked a semester because I tried to learn PHP and nursing at the same time.

I stopped working as a nurse 4 months ago and decided to try my hand a social media marketing. So far it's successful with SMM.. xD But incase this fails, there's always nursing to go back to.. The stuff you'll learn in school is the same things you'll learn as a real nurse. Try both and see which one you like more (after getting that nursing license). I am self studying programming at the moment too!

Hehe, yep. Don't get me wrong, I'm into computers, gadgets, and all that good stuff. In fact, I built my own computer. Not an incredible feat, I know, but most people wouldn't want to attempt that. Also, my entire family knows me as the computer guy. If they have an issue, they always come to me. It's great having the knowledge, but it kind of sucks when everyone comes to me. :-(

Now this really gets to me. Computer science or nursing? I have much more experience with computers, but never did I intend to actually obtain a degree with them. I randomly chose nursing as another back up plan because I heard it was stable (meaning fields are always open) and it had consistent pay. I guess I'm just going to have to float around and see what gets the best of me.
(01-04-2011, 01:51 AM)ElephantShoe Wrote: [ -> ]Hehe, yep. Don't get me wrong, I'm into computers, gadgets, and all that good stuff. In fact, I built my own computer. Not an incredible feat, I know, but most people wouldn't want to attempt that. Also, my entire family knows me as the computer guy. If they have an issue, they always come to me. It's great having the knowledge, but it kind of sucks when everyone comes to me. :-(

Now this really gets to me. Computer science or nursing? I have much more experience with computers, but never did I intend to actually obtain a degree with them. I randomly chose nursing as another back up plan because I heard it was stable (meaning fields are always open) and it had consistent pay. I guess I'm just going to have to float around and see what gets the best of me.

I'd have to say, go for the nursing degree! The mere fact that you are able to teach yourself computer stuff is revelation of how easy you will get computers. I taught myself, html, css and php.. hehe..
(01-04-2011, 01:58 AM)IamKris Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have to say, go for the nursing degree! The mere fact that you are able to teach yourself computer stuff is revelation of how easy you will get computers. I taught myself, html, css and php.. hehe..

Unfortunately, my coding skills suck. Sure I know HTML, but then when I go to learn CSS, I just get lazy and let it go.

But anyway, thanks for the chat!
Pages: 1 2 3 4