Support Forums

Full Version: Just ordered an Alienware M11x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've ordered the Alienwares M11x, and I've been wondering...

The laptop will be used mainly for rendering projects, graphics, animations, etc...

I chose to have 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz for an extra £100, but I'm not sure if that does what I think...

I chose it over the 2GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz hoping it would give me more memory to store my files and stuff, I really don't know anything about computer hardware though so I could be miles off.

Just wondering what does having 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz actually do? (In comparison to only 2GB).

Also, any tips on how to increase the performance of software would be great.

Thanks,

Jack
well 4gb is the standard nowadays already so 4gb is good.

you should use x64 bit OS to use 4gb ram.
I'd have gone 8gb if you're doing graphic work. It will matter.
I've already ordered the 4GB.

But thanks Omni, I will know for next time.
I'm so sorry. Just kidding. You can upgrade you're RAM, as stated above, and make sure you keep all of your drivers up-to-date.
(01-03-2011, 02:20 PM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]So I've ordered the Alienwares M11x, and I've been wondering...

The laptop will be used mainly for rendering projects, graphics, animations, etc...

I chose to have 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz for an extra £100, but I'm not sure if that does what I think...

I chose it over the 2GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz hoping it would give me more memory to store my files and stuff, I really don't know anything about computer hardware though so I could be miles off.

Just wondering what does having 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz actually do? (In comparison to only 2GB).

Also, any tips on how to increase the performance of software would be great.

Thanks,

Jack

You should have gotten a slightly bigger size if you're doing the work on it you mentioned.

It'll still run, though. And it doesn't store files btw, thats your harddrive.
i ordered an alienware off ebay before everyone knew about safe buying and all that and was scammed $3000. yikes.
Next time you should hae posted here so we can help you before you order it Smile
Just saying Tongue Anyways 4gb it's way better than 2gb. My laptop without any program opened just with windows 7 running consumes 700mb of my 2g ram. Which is a lot >.>