Support Forums

Full Version: Should I Be Worried? Can I connect to the net? (solved, I'm good)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A guy sent me a message through Windows Live Messenger telling me he was "port-scanning" me.

I thought he was exaggerating/lieing about his leet hacker skills, but I disconnected my PC from my modem anyways. Right now I'm on an old laptop. About 10 minutes after I disconnected, he told me "i dont recommend restarting ur pc ever again! muahaha"

I just finished a scan with AVG 8.5 (which I update all the time) and there's nothing found on my PC. I then went to this link: http://www.auditmypc.com/firewall-test.asp to find out if I had any vulnerable port open. I don't know a whole lot about port-scanning and what-not, but it told me that I didn't have any open. (though I'm not sure how good that site is either)

On top of AVG's firewall, I think I have a hardwall firewall in my modem. (not sure)

And since he said not to restart my computer, I also checked out the startup folders and see nothing out of the ordinary.

Am I safe to reconnect my PC to the net?

PS: I looked at his YouTube profile, and the only "hacking" related videos he has favorited or commented on are little command prompt tricks like getting Administrator status in Windows or something. He also has pretty bad grammar, if that reflects anything.
I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you don't have any ports open.
How can I be sure I don't have any ports open? Is the scan I did at http://www.auditmypc.com/firewall-test.asp good enough?
(10-14-2009, 04:21 PM)JDBar Wrote: [ -> ]How can I be sure I don't have any ports open? Is the scan I did at http://www.auditmypc.com/firewall-test.asp good enough?

Blue's Port Scanner

Download that, type in your IP and scan your ports. It'll tell you if you have any open. I highly doubt you have anything to worry about.
Sounds like a skid to me, i wouldn't worry about it.. Pm me his msn, i'd like some fun ;)
Dude, don't worry about it! He's yanking your chain. There's NOTHING he could do, even with an open port, especially with a firewall. Okay, I don't know much about exploiting networks, but I seriously doubt he could ruin your port with open ports. The only ports you probably have open are 80 and some others, which are default. He sounds too lame to know what to do. He's probably just a skid; don't worry about it.
I think you guys are right. I used the Blue's Port Scanner on myself and it came up with 3 ports that look like normal stuff, and when I try online scanners from outside sources they can't find anything vulnerable.

I'm going to reconnect my PC and restart and see if I'm good.

EDIT: Also, I think I'll leave his MSN secret. Just in case he's capable of something (even though there is so much doubt) I'd rather he believe that he got me and will never "deal with me" again. Currently restarting my PC to see if he really did anything...

Well you guys were right. PC started up find, no harmful software or incoming connection alerts. All look good.

Thank guys.
(10-14-2009, 04:38 PM)JDBar Wrote: [ -> ]I think you guys are right. I used the Blue's Port Scanner on myself and it came up with 3 ports that look like normal stuff, and when I try online scanners from outside sources they can't find anything vulnerable.

I'm going to reconnect my PC and restart and see if I'm good.

Providing you didn't run any file he/she sent you then you should be fine. It's just another internet Skid, you'll find many of them across the internet. Just merely laugh.
(10-14-2009, 04:42 PM)Codine Wrote: [ -> ]Providing you didn't run any file he/she sent you then you should be fine. It's just another internet Skid, you'll find many of them across the internet. Just merely laugh.

I'm smart enough to not run any files (let alone download em through an email or IM) Thanks.

Well that's a relief.
Just to be sure, do a full system scan with malware bytes, and hijack this just incase the attacker did actually gain access, very unlikely tho.
Pages: 1 2