Support Forums

Full Version: Scrap test server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So i am building a scrap server. What Os should i use? I never made a scrap server before. So i don't know of BSD or Ubuntu will be to much of a load.
What are the specs of the server?
Just use a server distro. Their lite and don't come with a GUI so it's lite on the server. BSD or Linux it's up to you.
K, what are the specs on it? Also, go with Arch Linux/CentOS/Ubuntu Server/BSD/Debian Etch. Debian and CentOS would be my pick. Ubuntu has the option to install LAMP stack right at the install screen also. Ubuntu would probably be your best bet for just starting with servers. Also, what do you plan on using it for? Dedicated servers are pretty useless unless its for streaming and stuff. A good P4 and 2 gigs of ram is enough for home use.
You guys make it sound like he's going to be running really intensive things.

He could probably get by on 128mb(maybe even less) if it's just php websites.
I was just curious. Any distro of linux will due just fine, I prefer CentOS.

But 128mb would be crap for a php website, at least if it requires any kind of DB.
Mandriva mate. Trust me i will step by step you if you need to but its a great and stable server. I have a server i made for a mate been up since 2007!!
(10-15-2009, 03:15 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Mandriva mate. Trust me i will step by step you if you need to but its a great and stable server. I have a server i made for a mate been up since 2007!!

Nice. Pretty much any Linux server is that stable to be honest.
(10-15-2009, 02:43 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. Pretty much any Linux server is that stable to be honest.

True that. I am alot more comfortable around Mandriva and thats why i offered it over another distro.
I would say CentOS for testing but consider a dual-boot with FreeBSD as well. Are you doing testing for desktop or web server? What you want to use this for is going to really be a deciding factor imho.
Pages: 1 2 3