Support Forums

Full Version: Why tall people are actually stronger than short people of similar capabilities.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ever seen someone who is say 5 foot 4 who works out? Chances are they look pretty buff even though they aren't that strong.

Basically they have less space to put it all so they look bigger. Also, a shorter person will be able to lift more weight because their limbs are shorter so they have a shorter distance to travel to lift the weight. Therefore their muscles have to work less hard then a tall person.

Physics: work is force times distance. shorter distance means the muscles don't have to work as hard to lift the same weight(force).

What this means overall is that, even if someone who is 5'4 can bench say 250, a guy who is 6'4 and can bench 220 is still far stronger, even though he looks like an average dude and the short guy looks like the Hulk.
I can almost agree with this. Do you have medical evidence from Doctors?
Not on hand, it really isn't a theory or anything it's proven fact. My work out partner is a professional trainer, more of a drinking buddy but anyways, he knows his crap and by extension, so do I.
Short people can bench better, but I am tall and stronger than people who work out more than me (Im 6 foot). Its probably because they have less muscle and lose it faster.
(12-23-2010, 08:13 PM)Toxhicide Wrote: [ -> ]Short people can bench better, but I am tall and stronger than people who work out more than me (Im 6 foot). Its probably because they have less muscle and lose it faster.

Did you read the thread at all? Or just misunderstand it?
I agree, I like to compare people by their weight and height. So if you're really tall, underweight, and skinny you can only properly compare yourself to people in your class...sort of like wrestling.
Yeah I'm 6'5 so I kind of build muscle slowly but the strength is there so it's all good.
(12-26-2010, 08:49 PM)Confidence Wrote: [ -> ]Well I'm 5'4 and I can bench 180, lol?

Actually read the thread before posting, if you did you would realize that isn't that big of an accomplishment, because you are short you need to use less force to lift the same weight as someone who is taller.
Hmm this is pretty agreeable but have there been any tests?
(12-26-2010, 09:55 PM)BizzyX Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm this is pretty agreeable but have there been any tests?

Ah ya, basic physics proves this. Go outside and find 2 sticks, one 2 feet long and one 5 feet long. Now put a 10 pound weight on the end of the first and lift it, now the second, the second, longer stick will feel far heavier. This is like grade 8 material here guys...
Pages: 1 2