Support Forums

Full Version: oh crap.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just made a dual boot. Yay!. How do i log back onto Ubuntu though... Sad I screwed up...

So did a Gparted live cd, paritioned two extra ones, and shorted my linux one. Now how do i access it.. It won't work now. XP takes away all way sof doing it...
It's supposed to be on the same partition I believe o.O
1. Boot into a LiveCD
2. Open a terminal
3. Open the GRUB Command line utility by typing

sudo grub

4. Tell GRUB where your Ubuntu partition is by entering

root (hdA,B)

Where 'A' is the hard-drive number, starting at 0, and 'B' is the partition number, starting at 0. For example, if Ubuntu was installed on the second partition of the first hard-drive, the command should be

root (hd0,1)

5. Tell GRUB which drive to put the boot sector on

setup (hd0)

(replacing 0, as above, if a drive other than the first is used as the boot device)

6. Leave the GRUB Command line

quit

and reboot.
(10-13-2009, 06:51 PM)Jake Wrote: [ -> ]It's supposed to be on the same partition I believe o.O
No, then you lose your data.

(10-13-2009, 06:54 PM)p0w3r0fchr1st Wrote: [ -> ]1. Boot into a LiveCD
2. Open a terminal
3. Open the GRUB Command line utility by typing

sudo grub

4. Tell GRUB where your Ubuntu partition is by entering

root (hdA,B)

Where 'A' is the hard-drive number, starting at 0, and 'B' is the partition number, starting at 0. For example, if Ubuntu was installed on the second partition of the first hard-drive, the command should be

root (hd0,1)

5. Tell GRUB which drive to put the boot sector on

setup (hd0)

(replacing 0, as above, if a drive other than the first is used as the boot device)

6. Leave the GRUB Command line

quit

and reboot.

I will try that when i boot up tomorrow (gonna use a 9/4)