Support Forums

Full Version: What Should I Upgrade on Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please note that when I bought this computer, it was TOP OF THE LINE. I payed $1200 for it, and my brother recently bought a laptop ( that costs $400 less ) that BLOWS my computer away. He has 4 gig ram while I have .... 1

Anyway, what should I upgrade?

Intel®Pentium® D CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050
Radeon 600(0x5B62)
Internal DAC(400MHz)
256.0 MB
Windows XP SP 3
144GB HD
(10-13-2009, 05:36 PM)Ragalshnagal Wrote: [ -> ]Please note that when I bought this computer, it was TOP OF THE LINE. I payed $1200 for it, and my brother recently bought a laptop ( that costs $400 less ) that BLOWS my computer away. He has 4 gig ram while I have .... 1

Anyway, what should I upgrade?

Intel®Pentium® D CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050
Radeon 600(0x5B62)
Internal DAC(400MHz)
256.0 MB
Windows XP SP 3
144GB HD

The RAM first off. I'd say get 4-8GB while you're at it.

All that's left really is the operating system, the rest is fine. Get Windows 7.
Eh if it's an old mobo he can only fit 2-4gb of ram.
I'd personally just buy a new mobo/processor and start there.
I was planning on getting a new video card, but I need to find one that is compatible.

Anyone know where I could buy upgrades for cheap? I'm on an extremely limited budget, and I'm only 16. I don't have a job yet.

Quick edit : I will not be getting Windows 7. I am hearing that too many things are still messed up with it, and it's almost as bad as Vista.

XP until I die.
You need maybe 2 GB of ram if you want XP to run really smoothly and I would say four if you plan to upgrade to windows 7 which I also recommended. I would have more hard drive space buts that because I would use more I dont know your needs.

edit:

(10-13-2009, 06:07 PM)Ragalshnagal Wrote: [ -> ]I was planning on getting a new video card, but I need to find one that is compatible.

Anyone know where I could buy upgrades for cheap? I'm on an extremely limited budget, and I'm only 16. I don't have a job yet.

Quick edit : I will not be getting Windows 7. I am hearing that too many things are still messed up with it, and it's almost as bad as Vista.

XP until I die.

Windows 7 is awesome. Its way way way better than vista. What have you heard is wrong with it???
On that motherboard you could get 4 gigs because the power supply limits you to that much. You can get a little better graphics card to. like a geforce 7200.
I would bump up your ram a bit and keep Xp. That way it runs fast and smooth.
There is loads of hype over 7 but i have used it and quickly resorted to formatting and going back to xp. Mainly due to the fact my pc is crap. My specs are lower than yours Ragalshnagal and i dont care what anyone says. 7 sucks more resources than xp but less than vista.
Further more 7 does not have the 3rd party support like xp or vista.
I wake up to my radio every morning, and guess what I hear?

Turns out windows 7 has MORE vunerabilities than Vista, even with the weekly M$ updates. <- my point exactly.

I'll take a look at everyone's suggestions, and I'll try to see how much everything would cost.

Suggestions are "still" appreciated.
RAM definitely. It's the easiest and the cheapest to upgrade. Then comes your video card. After that you're looking at starting a pretty much new rig lol.
I must have missed when you mentioned it. What motherboard do you have?
Pages: 1 2