Support Forums

Full Version: External Hard Drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, my pc monitor broke a couple of days ago and iv been forced to use the laptop and iv lost all my bookmarks to some sites i used to use daily so i decided to buy an external hard drive case today for £15.99 & put my pc hard drive in it, but i can't set it as my main hard drive or run firefox.

So i was woundering how do i get my firefox bookmarks from my other hard drive?

The external hard drive has windows XP on and my laptop has vista if that helps.
You might be able to copy the folder that you installed firefox to, and move it to your laptop.
I doubt you can, always worth a shot.
you should set the Hard Drive Priority in the bios.

the usb hdd should be the first in the hard drive priority. unless your laptop doesn't support booting from the usb, but i doubt that.
Yeah, today's modern BIOS now supports USB booting. But be careful when you're fiddling with the BIOS. It can make your laptop become an expensive door stop.
Don't try to boot off the external, it's most likely NOT going to work. What you'll need to do is boot into your normal os on your laptop, and then using the external browse to X:/WhereyourOSis/Firefoxdirectory/Bookmarks.

Google where firefox keeps it's bookmarks.
You can boot from an external...Unless your external is shot... but it should work. You shouldnt have to boot if you can just copy what you want onto a flashdrive\ your external.
(12-12-2010, 06:49 PM)herestothenewyear Wrote: [ -> ]Don't try to boot off the external, it's most likely NOT going to work. What you'll need to do is boot into your normal os on your laptop, and then using the external browse to X:/WhereyourOSis/Firefoxdirectory/Bookmarks.

Google where firefox keeps it's bookmarks.

It won't work if the BIOS doesn't support it. But there's a pretty fat change that booting of an External will work.
If the external was a hard drive that was in a desktop (Which reading the first post it was) with a different mobo/etc it won't boot the os installed on the external. It won't have the drivers. It will open in the OS that is installed on the laptop but it will not boot up where it is the os.
(12-12-2010, 06:59 PM)herestothenewyear Wrote: [ -> ]If the external was a hard drive that was in a desktop (Which reading the first post it was) with a different mobo/etc it won't boot the os installed on the external. It won't have the drivers. It will open in the OS that is installed on the laptop but it will not boot up where it is the os.

I see what you mean here but remember that windows xp can run without the drivers. Just like BartPE.
Pages: 1 2