Support Forums

Full Version: Considering Linux...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay so I have installed Linux on my Dell. It's taken a little bit to get used to it, but it's okay. I might go all out Linux as my primary but I do have some questions.

Windows 7 Vs. Linux? Which is better suited for a student with a powerful laptop?

Does it have a well made Word Processor?

What exactly makes Linux as good as or maybe better than Windows?

Is it easy to use on the go?

Like I said above... I'm a student so I'm pretty concerned about the word processor thing, but other than that any OS is fair game.

Thanks.
Edit: Also I forgot one more thing... I will be doing quite a bit of coding later on so I want to ask if anyone else has experience coding and running programs on Linux. Also does Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 work on Linux?
Windows 7 Vs. Linux? Which is better suited for a student with a powerful laptop?
Which Version of seven?
Also it depends what else you need to do. For word processing/msn/ Linux wil
Does it have a well made Word Processor?
A few to select from, But i like Open Office.
What exactly makes Linux as good as or maybe better than Windows?
Freedom for me. I can create destroy or remake anything, and most people don't mind.
Is it easy to use on the go?
Very. And simple once your used to it.
Edit: Also I forgot one more thing... I will be doing quite a bit of coding later on so I want to ask if anyone else has experience coding and running programs on Linux. Also does Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 work on Linux?
VB doesn't work well. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.ph...on&iId=892 But i'm sure there is an alternative.
It really depends on preference. If you're fine with the lack of available programs for Linux because you just LOVE Linux and the freedom that comes with it. Use Linux.

Windows 7 is going to be more user friendly and have more choices when it comes to programs. Also, in my opinion Windows 7 is prettier.
I would go windows 7 if you are a student, but they are both great choices.
Go Windows 7 and use VirtualBox to install Linux...Have the best of both worlds...
(10-13-2009, 05:30 PM)g4143 Wrote: [ -> ]Go Windows 7 and use VirtualBox to install Linux...Have the best of both worlds...

That's a good way to go but I highly recommend dual-booting instead. It's usually much faster and way less annoying. Just a tip.
(10-13-2009, 03:53 PM)Tm0 Wrote: [ -> ]Which Version of seven

Ultimate. Also thanks for the responses everyone.

At the moment I'm dual booting Xubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate but for some reason my Windows 7 isn't working so I think I'll decide which operating system to pick. I don't really like the whole dual boot thing I'd prefer just one operating system.

Also one more thing.. what do you guy's think about Linux's security? Has anyone released AntiViruses for it, or is it fine alone?

Thanks.
Its fine alone, but ClamAV, and AVG have virus checkers. That is for the worry worts though.