Support Forums

Full Version: SSD/HHD Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm interested in buying a SSD, has anyone had one that can give me there thoughts on them?

I also have a question, if I put my OS on the SSD and I load up the ssd but I still have my hard drive with my programs and crap can I use it on my ssd desktop? Or will I have to access all information through My Computer>C:/ (whatever the hard drive was located in)
SSD are so much faster that a ordinary HDD and also faster than a VelociRaptor. and it has no moving parts. so vibrations ain't gonna be a problem.

and yes, put the OS and the Most needed programs then install the other programs at your HDD.
Solid State Drives look very impressive, i was looking at these a year back, and almost imported some from China tbh.. but then realised that the ones from china where not of good quality like most things from there. I also decided against getting myself a SSD, so i would be interested to see actually how good they are.

It just seems like its a drive made from big memory chips rather than disk.. if you get what i mean.. like the ram we use is much faster but is not permanent or safe enough to store information on long term. Is this what they are??

are they safe??
I don't have an SSD in my build at the moment but I'm hoping to upgrade to one in the future, the speed for boots/programs that are on the SSD are phenomenal.

@Spy, yes they're safe.
(12-07-2010, 08:57 AM)SPY™ Wrote: [ -> ]Solid State Drives look very impressive, i was looking at these a year back, and almost imported some from China tbh.. but then realised that the ones from china where not of good quality like most things from there. I also decided against getting myself a SSD, so i would be interested to see actually how good they are.

It just seems like its a drive made from big memory chips rather than disk.. if you get what i mean.. like the ram we use is much faster but is not permanent or safe enough to store information on long term. Is this what they are??

are they safe??

are they safe??

they are reliable than HDDs. like you said SSDs are memory chips hence no moving parts like the HDDs do. so they are shock proof.

time will come hdd will be gone and the ssd will be the new storage drives.
Flash memories are available with two different kinds of memory density: SLC (Single-Level Cell) and MLC (Multiple-Level Cell). It can be manufactured under two different technologies, NAND and NOR. The type used on all devices listed above is NAND, and therefore you can see some manufacturers calling flash memory as “NAND”. NOR technology allows running program code and is basically used on cell phones.

It will depend on the number of write/erase cycles the person performs a day. If we assume that an average person will write 50 GB per day every day, a 64 GB MLC drive would last 35 years (64 GB x 10,000 / 50 GB / 365 days) and a 64 GB SLC drive would last 350 years (64 GB x 100,000 / 50 GB / 365 days). Of course for MLC-based SSD's with a maximum write/erase cycle lower than 10,000, you will need to adjust the math.

depending on the application you will write way more than 50 GB per day (for example servers), drastically lowering the life-span of the unit. That is why for the enterprise environment (i.e., servers) the kind of SSD that must be used is the SLC. So SLC-based units are classified as enterprise class, while MLC-based units are classified as consumer class
I have a SSD on my computer that I built.. and i can tell you I HIGHLY recommend it. If you get 2 and run raid 0 then u can get speeds of 500mbs +

Here is a link of some good ones..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-227-669-_-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

These are just examples of good ones.. you can get either larger or smaller in ways of memory.
advantages to a SSD compared to a traditional spinning mechanical hard drive, such as:

1. There are no noise, as there are no moving parts.
2. Less heat emission compared to hard drives, as again, there are no moving parts.
3. Lower power consumption, because you’ve guessed it, there are no moving parts, which results in longer battery life for laptops and mobile devices.
4. SSD are much more resistant to shocks than hard drives are.
5. Much lower latency (in the 0.07ms compared to 7-9ms).
6. Higher transfer rates for reading (Up to 330 MB/s+) and writing files.

SSD are similar to hard drives in the way that they delete files: They don’t. They simply flag the files as deleted.

What’s the problem with that? With a hard drive, when you want to use the space occupied by the previous file, the hard drive would simply overwrite it. In the case of a SSD, it needs to erase the file prior to writing again.

Until recently, SSD would delete the file right before writing the new one. Needless to say, this slows down write operations a lot, especially as your SSD gets filled up and you need to erase pretty much any previously deleted file to write new data.

TRIM is here to change that through. What TRIM does is erase the file right away, allowing you to write at full speed without waiting to erase previously used space.

Now, to use TRIM, you need a OS that supports it, such as Windows 7, Mac OS X and some variants of Linux being the only ones as far as I know. You also need a SSD that supports TRIM obviously. Note that OCZ, Intel and a few other SSD manufacturers offer an utility that mimics what TRIM does, for OSes that don’t support TRIM.

If you want to learn more about SSDs and TRIM, I highly recommend

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc...i=3531&p=1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829

You can use two or more SSDs in RAID, you just need to pick the right SSDs. My recommendation would be use either one of these, in this order:

1. A SandForce based SSD, such as Corsair Force series or OCZ Vertex 2/Agility 2 series.
2. Toshiba controller based SSDs (Mostly some Kingston models).
3. Any Intel SSD.

Corsair Nova 2.5″ 32GB SATA II SSD 70usd
Mushkin Callisto 2.5″ 40GB SATA II SSD 100usd
OCZ Agility 2 2.5″ 60GB SATA II SSD 120usd
I have an SSD and I throughly enjoy it.

I have Windows 7 as the OS, and I have that and some commonly used programs installed on the SSD.

On my other HDD I keep other program files, my desktop files, my document files, and other programs/games.

I have noticed no issues, what-so-ever.

The boot times on the SSD are remarkable.