Support Forums

Full Version: Anyone Here Using Virgin Media UK?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I released and renewed my IP address in CMD while disconnecting my router from my modem, and connecting my computer directly to the modem, and it worked perfectly and I recieved a new WAN IP address.

However, when I reconnected my wireless router to the modem, and my computer to the router, I was given my old IP address back.

Anyone else experienced this problem or if you have a solution please post. Smile
Have you tried running the following commands?

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Make sure you run cmd in as administrator, especially in vista. What OS are you using btw?

Reset WINSOCK entries to the defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot your machine

I don't have a wireless router, but these are just suggestions you can try. I have a router where I just connect every computer in my house through a network. I don't need wireless since I've made access to the network anywhere in the house.
(11-26-2010, 05:35 PM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried running the following commands?

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Make sure you run cmd in as administrator, especially in vista. What OS are you using btw?

Reset WINSOCK entries to the defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot your machine

I don't have a wireless router, but these are just suggestions you can try. I have a router where I just connect every computer in my house through a network. I don't need wireless since I've made access to the network anywhere in the house.

Thanks I'll give that a try, also there is a DHCP Release and DHCP Renew on the router configuration page, which still doesn't keep the new IP.

I'm using Windows 7 and yes I run CMD as admin.
(11-26-2010, 05:43 PM)Win Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks I'll give that a try, also there is a DHCP Release and DHCP Renew on the router configuration page, which still doesn't keep the new IP.

I'm using Windows 7 and yes I run CMD as admin.

did you reboot after you did that?
(11-26-2010, 06:12 PM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]did you reboot after you did that?

Yes when I tried the DHCP release.

I'm going to try your advice now.
Still doesn't work, it changes when I connect my Computer to the modem and dnsflush/renew, but when I connect to the internet again via my router, it changes back.
dnsflush /renew?

The commands are:
Code:
ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
(exit) > enter
(11-27-2010, 07:14 PM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]dnsflush /renew?

The commands are:
Code:
ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
(exit) > enter

Yes I tried that.
What type of router do you have? (example: Linksys)
Also, check to see if you have a static IP setup in your TCP/IP properties. It could be automatically finding that IP when you reconnect.

If you are running XP Service pack 2, then you could go to the control panel in Network and internet connections, then Network connections. Double click on the local area connection in use, and pick support. Try the repair button after using that Winsock fix that I gave you in my earlier post (only if your running on SP2)

go into your start menu, control panel, administration tools, services: look for DNS client, and check to see that it's set to manual, and that it's started.
I use a static IP so my Blackshades works.
Pages: 1 2