Support Forums

Full Version: Can't Partition Hard Drive Further.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to make multiple partitions on my Hard Drive to boot different OS's such as Windows XP, Ubuntu and Backtrack, but I have only been able to make 1 partition 7GB large, and I can't make any more. I have over 40GB free, so I figured there must be unmovable files, so I Defragmented the Drive with JkDefrag and I still can't shrink the main partition more than 7GB.

If anyone has a solution please post.

Thanks.
If I was you, and wanted to make everything easily. I would re-do everything and just partition everything equally. It seems to work out a lot smoother when you use a clean HDD.
(11-27-2010, 06:04 PM)1001tucker Wrote: [ -> ]Get a larger hardrive.

LMAO, some people on here..

How many partitions do you have in total? You can have a max of 4 primary partitions then you need to use an extended.
(11-27-2010, 07:15 PM)MarkW7 Wrote: [ -> ]LMAO, some people on here..

How many partitions do you have in total? You can have a max of 4 primary partitions then you need to use an extended.

2 partitions currently.
Are you using the Windows partition manager? If so, I recommend using something better,
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Used many times by me, it's flawless.
I'd recommend booting into either a Linux CD or gparted it's self. You may have "hidden" OEM partitions, gparted will show them.

Do you get an error or anything?
(11-27-2010, 07:20 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using the Windows partition manager? If so, I recommend using something better,
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Used many times by me, it's flawless.

Thanks I'll give it a go.
Wow thanks so much it worked perfectly!
Try wipe your hard-drive and reinstall all of the OSs again.
(12-22-2010, 02:56 AM)DaL33T Wrote: [ -> ]Try wipe your hard-drive and reinstall all of the OSs again.

While you're at it, take your entire PC back. This is obviously the problem. Please, don't answer if you're going to make things worse.