Support Forums

Full Version: CS 1.6 Explanation of Loss and Choke | CS Tutorial #4 [By: Shroomish]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In this tutorial, I will try to explain how we can reduce the loss, choke and ping. To begin, I will explain what means each one.

* The loss means the number of packets that are lost from the server to the client. This can be caused by a bad connection, not necessarily mean that your connection is slow.

* Choke means the number of packets that are sent to the server because the connection is weak and / or there is a large number of packages needed by the server.

To optimize your loss and choke, we use two commands: cl_cmdrate; cl_updaterate.
* Rates * XXXX (XXXX represents the numbers)

- Set the data transfer between the client and the server at any time.

- The optimal values (depending on connection type):

256 = 1500-2200
512 = 2000-3500
1024 = 3500-4000
2048 = 4000-9999

[color=#9400D3]Depending on your connection, sets the rates on your server for Counter-Strike
Example: 9999 rate.

- This is written on your console.
- If you set the value of commands defined above or below what the server needs can cause loss and choke. These two are closely related to the loss and choke settings.

Cl_updaterate * *
- Determines the number of packets per second received your computer.
- The optimal values (depending on connection type):

Modem = 15-25
Broadband = 25-40

cl_cmdrate * *

- Determines the number of packets per second sent to the server
- Optimal settings:

Modem = 25-35
Broadband = 40-50

Loss - Command: cl_updaterate.
Choke - Command: cl_cmdrate

Steps:
1. Open Counter-Strike. Join to any game.
2. Write net_graph 3 on your console. (To disable, net_graph 0)
3. Join a full server.
4. Check your choke, loss and your ping.
5. Try to determine by your amount of loss and chokes, which are the best rates for your cs.

I recommend that you first set cl_cmdrate cl_updaterate and then trying different rate values, according to how many loss & chokes you're receiving.

After changing the value of a command, wait 5-10 seconds for the results, so the values do not change quickly.
Once found the values, keep in config.cfg or userconfig.cfg. Settings that can be saved for personal use, provided that runs every time you start the game.

P.S: I hope this help you out in a way.