Support Forums

Full Version: I dont expect this to get awnsered but...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just so I make sure im getting everything right I need some varification with some questions; and how can I accept multiple connections on a server using C++? AND:
*What is a Socket?
*What is binding? (IP, Port)
*What is a multithreaded server?
*What is a handle?
Ha nobody awnsered it but I found the awnsers on my own. If anybody cares/this helps anybody in the future

Socket: What a Client/Server Connects to...
Bind: Initiates the Server to either Listen/connect to IP, Port
Multithread server: Multiple connections accepted on server
handle: Something to initiate after each connection
While your own definitions are more or less correct, they're only so on a very abstract level. Technically speaking they aren't.

Socket: A socket is the endpoint of a network stream. You can think of it as the metal ring at the end of a hose.

Bind: To bind means to tell a socket what IP address and what port it's working on.

Multi-threaded server: Multi-threading is the act of distributing the process across threads. A thread is another line of execution, one that is independent of others. In other words, threads allow for multiple things to occur at once. A multi-threaded server typically works by accepting an incoming request and then splitting the workhorse for that new connection to its own thread. This was the main process remains free to deal with the next request.

Handle: A handle is a pointer to an object. A handle might be for an open file, a socket, or even a user-defined class. It's the handle that you use to interact with whatever it is representing.
(11-22-2010, 08:19 AM)Disease Wrote: [ -> ]While your own definitions are more or less correct, they're only so on a very abstract level. Technically speaking they aren't.

Socket: A socket is the endpoint of a network stream. You can think of it as the metal ring at the end of a hose.

Bind: To bind means to tell a socket what IP address and what port it's working on.

Multi-threaded server: Multi-threading is the act of distributing the process across threads. A thread is another line of execution, one that is independent of others. In other words, threads allow for multiple things to occur at once. A multi-threaded server typically works by accepting an incoming request and then splitting the workhorse for that new connection to its own thread. This was the main process remains free to deal with the next request.

Handle: A handle is a pointer to an object. A handle might be for an open file, a socket, or even a user-defined class. It's the handle that you use to interact with whatever it is representing.

Ahh I was confused on the handle...
Thanks disease!