Support Forums

Full Version: Computer Issues (Desktop)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My desktop was knocked over the other day. It was fine for a few days now it is running amazingly slow. I doubt I am infected as I have only just re-installed windows.

Listening to it it sounds like it is wanting to run but can't with a 2 second (ish) whirrr followed by by to little noises.

Does anybody know what could be wrong?

UPDATE: It runs FINE in safe mode.
Download some programs like TFC and CCleaner

Also, Did you re-install windows, or did you install a newer version? (Example: Were you on XP and upgraded to Win7?) That might cause issues if your computer is not compatible with windows 7. If not, what reason did you re-install?
I am running Vista Black Edition and have been doing so fine for quite a while. I re-installed as I needed to do a factory image reset. It wouldn't let me as I was dual booting with Ubuntu. Ubuntu also worked fine when Windows went. I have been told it's a HDD issue, but I don't understand why I could run Ubuntu and I can run in safe mode. Thanks for your help.
Well, Id guess it was a HDD issue.(Even though you said it isnt) It could be just a bad sector, So that could be why your Windows partition wont work. I would run some HDD Tests on it.
(11-13-2010, 09:36 AM)Xzotic Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Id guess it was a HDD issue.(Even though you said it isnt) It could be just a bad sector, So that could be why your Windows partition wont work. I would run some HDD Tests on it.

How would I do this mate?
Well, Im running Win 7 Right now. I Would Right click on my C:- Properties- tools tab- Check Now (under error Checking)
There is also quite a few better HDD checking tools. The best one to my knowledge is Spinrite. If you can get a copy of Spinrite in your hands it would be your best bet.
You hdd likely got scratched when it fell, which is preventing some partitions from being used.
(11-13-2010, 10:33 AM)Epic Smiley™ Wrote: [ -> ]You hdd likely got scratched when it fell, which is preventing some partitions from being used.

Ahhh does,t sound good Sad. So I can put windows onto another partition?
(11-13-2010, 11:20 AM)SYNTAX ERR0R Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhh does,t sound good Sad. So I can put windows onto another partition?

Possibly, But its not 100% sure it will work man. It would just try to get your hands on another HDD
(11-13-2010, 11:51 AM)Xzotic Wrote: [ -> ]Possibly, But its not 100% sure it will work man. It would just try to get your hands on another HDD

Yes. Unfortunatly I am in the process of moving so I hae no cash Sad.
Pages: 1 2