Support Forums

Full Version: [SF Reviews] Ubuntu 10.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

[Image: sf.png]

Operating System: Ubuntu 10.10

Information about this Operating System: Ubuntu 10.10 is yet another distribution of the ongoing Ubuntu Project, coming from the Linux Kernel. It is not Microsoft, many people do not know anything about Linux or the distributions. It does not support executable files (.exe), which lowers the chance of misleading programs aka viruses.

Compatibility: Ubuntu is compatible with almost every computer! As long as you have 192 Mb of RAM and about 2.8 GB of space, you can run this Operating System! Ohmy

Download Link(s) And a brief how-to:

There are two (three, they go together though), types of Ubuntu installations. They are:
  • Wubi Installer
  • Installing from a disk Image (.iso).

I will explain how to use both of these below.

Disk Image (Click to View)

Downloads!:
  • Wubi
  • Disk Image - NOTE: For this one you will need to select: Amd64, i386, etc.

Picture(s) of the Operating System:
NOTE: Don't mind my messed up panel on the top, I dragged something and it lagged; doesn't happen usually. I just haven't rebooted yet.

Choose your theme! (Click to View)

Using the Internet! Default Browser = Firefox (Click to View)

Easily Manage Multiple Windows! (Using Compiz, I'll do another Review for that) (Click to View)

Pidgin for Messaging! (Click to View)

Features: One of my most favorite topics in Linux, features. Ubuntu offers MANY Open Source programs, many languages to code in as well. But to Windows fans, and VB; the .NET Framework especially, there will be none of that here. Sad. Ubuntu has many Window Managers (Such as Compiz), that allow you to do cool tricks with your Windows, for the eyecandy lovers, fire on screen, rain on screen, and much more. The automatic updates is very helpful as well, and after you do Security Updates, all you have to do is Log out and back in! Ohmy! Which leads my to my final point in this section: This is the end to rebooting every day. When using ANY distribution of Linux, you rarely need to reboot, except maybe for kernel updates. Not often.

Personal Opinion: [i]When using Ubuntu for my first time, I was really pumped at how easy to use it was. Ubuntu has never really been a problem for me. There are some bugs, but you get used to them when you start to realize how great it is. I used another distro and I had a hell of a lot more bugs, I talked to the tech in my school and said it would pass in a few weeks; it didn't. I don't think he knew what he was saying, because when I first switched to Ubuntu, no problems. I'd really reccomend this to you all. Ubuntu 10.10 is definitely my favorite release, they changed some things around, especially in the netbook remix. Ubuntu has a really slick look to it, and a lot of things come pre-installed. Don't wanna go too far off though xD

Rating out of 10: I would give this a 9/10. Like Skill said, nothing can be perfect. Always room for improvement. I would love to see something that gives a lot more support to executables (WINE gives some, as does Play-On Linux), but they do not give enough. Some things I really wish I could still use, but Ubuntu does not offer it. However, this is my only complaint. Ubuntu offers programs basically the same as ones you can find on Windows. No iTunes, but GTK Pod, my friend used it; wasn't impressed, but hell, they have it. Open Office as opposed to MS Office. If I ever return to Windows, I'm using Open Office.
Nice Review =) I like ubuntu alot myself out of the linux distros, I sadly can't use it on my notebook because it gets corrupted for unknown reasons (using wubi)
You could always try using a USB.
Those never worked for me, I finally got backtrack to work with a usb, anything else doesn't do it. My computer is so screwed up lol I have my harddrive split into 4's because I felt Like I needed to categorize my hard drive, one images one programs one music/videos and one free space.

ahha xD
Nice review you did there, Reality. I'll install the Ubuntu 10.10 on a virtual machine later on.
Thanks Marik Thumbsup
Ubuntu 10.10 is the best so far...
I am loving the kernel and GUI
the new (ubuntu software center with .dep installer) is awesome...
Unity looks very good too!
Great review dude Thanks Smile
Great review, I might get burn another copy of Ubuntu.
Nice review reality. Ubuntu is pretty easy to use if your new with linux.
Pages: 1 2 3 4