Support Forums

Full Version: (New!!) Linear Line Glow Effect [Tutorial]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1) On the first layer change the background to black, using the fill tool, then create a new transparent layer.

2) create a line on the new layer. I used the pen tool and after making my first point outside of the canvas, I held down shift and clicked somewhere on the opposite end outside the canvas. Holding shift in this way using the pen tool will direct point 1, to the second point in a parallel line to the bottom of your canvas to ensure that it is straight.

3) change the fill to 0% on the layer, and double click on the layer to open up the properties window. In here you will want to add an outer glow of your choice. I made mine around 30px because you'll need some noticable glow for one of the steps ahead.

4) This step is important that you follow my directions. Create a new transparent layer. hold down the ctrl key and click on the new layer, and the layer with the line you just made with the outer glow. They should both be selected now. Once you have them selected hold down ctrl and press the "E" key. This will join the new transparent layer with the layer you added the outer glow on. The reason for this is because now if you double click on this combined layer, there are no more layer properties added. (no more outer glow either.)

5) Out of the upper and bottom glow, you are going to divide this in half using the selection tool, once you've selected either the bottom or the top "glow," press delete, to get rid of one of the glows so that only one remains.

6) Go to Edit>Transform, and rotate it 90 degrees CW, while the layer with the half of the line glow is selected in your layers tab.

7) Now go to Filter>Stylize>Wind. Make sure the Method option is highlighting "Wind" for the radio button, and the Direction is highlighting "From the Right." Press Ok. It should now look like this. If you want, try adding wind a couple times, to suit your liking.

8) Now go back to Edti>Transform, and rotate the line layer to 90 degrees CCW this time, to go back to the way it was before.

9) Right click on the layer with the line you added the wind filter to, and duplicate the layer. While this copied layer is highlighted go back to Edit>Transform, and click flip vertically. You'll notice that you don't have to move any layers around, because it already creates a really cool line in the middle from the layers becoming "overlapped."

10) Create a new layer. This is going to be your blending layer that gives the color to the line. Go select a gradient and add a few rainbow colors. With my custom gradient. I have a transparency on all of the colors from the right to the left of the spectrum because I think it gives a better result than just a plain bold color with full opacity.

11) When you're done, drag the gradient from left to right, or right to left, depending on what colors you chose and where you want them to be. You should now just have a rainbow gradient on top of everything else, which covers up your whole image. Now go to the colorful layer in your layers tab, and change the blending option from Normal to Color.

12) The last steps are optional, but you can add your own text, with whatever you desire. And your slogan, if you wish.

Everything in this tutorial was from an effect that I created myself. Hope you all enjoy this Smile
Awesome tutorial it's simple and great.
Wow, It’s so simple, but really pleasing! As soon as I get 100 posts remind me to +rep you for this!

Thanks again Ace.
(07-26-2011, 06:30 PM)Teruko Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, It’s so simple, but really pleasing! As soon as I get 100 posts remind me to +rep you for this!

Thanks again Ace.

Thanks, it's an effect that I came up with on my spare time just fooling around one day. I was actually spending time in FL studio and I was using a visualization plugin for a wave generator, so I tried to duplicate it as an image.

The line wave in my signature right now is actually based off this effect, only I use a simple line with "simulate pen pressure" from the pentool to create the spikes.

Like this:
[Image: ibKAv2.png]

Really really nice effect but very simple.
Thanks for this tutorial it is wrote very nice, and is easy to follow
10/10
Good work dude. This is really simple and the output is excellent.