Support Forums

Full Version: Help with installing multiple Operating systems.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok , here is my problem .
My old laptop had ubuntu and windows installed in two different partitions.
I then installed BT4 on another partition ( I had a total of 3 partitions made )
Then when I boot up again , the grub didn't show any other OS except for BT4 .

I reformatted the whole laptop and now have windows inside virtualbox in ubuntu .
Now I want to install bt4 r1 in a new partition .
(Note - I have no data whatsoever stored , so I am okay with reformatting again )

Now , what should I do to install bt4 r1 in a new partition ? And make the installation perfect so that I don't get any problems like the last time .

Here are my specifications -

Hard Disk - 250 gb
Ubuntu 100 gb (ext 3)
50 gb for /windows (no data . Just the mount point is /windows)
2 gb swap
98 gb NTFS (nothing installed in it too)

Please help , I have a seminar tomorrow and want to complete everything quickly and prepare a few slides.

Thanks in advance .

Here is a snapshot -
Install Windows on the primary partition. Then make 2 logical drives and install bt4 on one and ubuntu on the other one.
Why are you trying to Dual boot OS? You don't even need to install Backtrack on your computer to use it, boot an ISO Image of BT4 using VMware workstation or something instead. It's much easier.
I feel that dual boot is better than booting from VM .
Nevertheless , I'll try doing that right now . No harm in trying right ?
The more you add on your computer by splitting the data into partitions, the more space is used up for no reason. Backtrack4 isn't a big operating system anyway, which is one of the main reasons why I load it from an iso image through VMware. It also gives me the option to build a network bridge so that I can get internet and all that. The only reason I would dual boot another OS is because I have a machine that I need XP on, so I have XP, and Windows 7 on that machine downstairs.
You Can use (" Daemon tools") Search google!
(11-15-2010, 10:31 AM)Ck1.3Staff Wrote: [ -> ]You Can use (" Daemon tools") Search google!

That wouldnt help with the virtual machine. That would mount the iso, which does no good when trying to install a OS, because if it required a restart, game over for your installation.
I find VMware to be simpler to control.
(11-15-2010, 12:35 PM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]I find VMware to be simpler to control.

Thats what I find easier as well. I suggested this, but i'm not sure if he's decided to go that way lol
In case OP doesn't know about VirtualBox.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

It's free and probably the best vm ware solution you can get.
Pages: 1 2