Support Forums

Full Version: Getting pro-active?... 5 Week Prog. Rep. Sent, 10 More Weeks to Get Better...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am in 9th grade, 6th week into school for me. A majority of my teachers are telling us to get pro-active. I know its general meaning perfectly, but is there anything else I should know about this? A deeper meaning? Other study skills? Please help me out, I don't think i'm doing great in very few classes.
Basically, do more then great in all of your classes. Finish your homework the second you get home and maybe memorize a few words of a new language or some SAT words. Finish an extra chapter of math that you know your teacher skipped because of time. You're in 9th grade? Biology? Get an AP biology textbook and start memorizing that crap, and next year will be a breeze.
(10-19-2010, 11:10 AM)Playskool Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, do more then great in all of your classes. Finish your homework the second you get home and maybe memorize a few words of a new language or some SAT words. Finish an extra chapter of math that you know your teacher skipped because of time. You're in 9th grade? Biology? Get an AP biology textbook and start memorizing that crap, and next year will be a breeze.

Yeah, not bio. Im in inter cordinated science
I would define it that you need to be on the ball. Prepared and organized for all lessons beforehand and working at home and using initiative without being told.
(10-18-2010, 11:27 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: [ -> ]I am in 9th grade, 6th week into school for me. A majority of my teachers are telling us to get pro-active. I know its general meaning perfectly, but is there anything else I should know about this? A deeper meaning? Other study skills? Please help me out, I don't think i'm doing great in very few classes.

They're just telling you to take control of your education. Most students sit there and expect to be spoon fed the minimum amount of information they need to memorize (keyword: memorize, not learn; there's a difference) in order to pass the next test. Proactivity is initiative; being ahead of the changes instead of reacting to them. How you interpret that is up to you.

I'm sure all your teachers are stressing is studying. Though really that's not proactivity, so they may be pushing you to push your learning beyond the classroom walls. With the ample amount of resources available to you (between your textbook and the web) it's not difficult to keep ahead of the class's curriculum.
Being Proactive is planning ahead, thinking before you act and responding responsible.
Examples:
Proactive: Talking things out, rather then fighting.(Not to be confused with verbal abuse)
Reactive: Physically fighting and verbally assaulting the person without thinking.
/Examples.

The best way for you as a person to be proactive is being ready for things. Doing your homework, paying attention in class, studying for a quiz. While outside of school you can think before you act and respond to situations responsibly.