Support Forums

Full Version: (Canned Speech) Backdoor/Rootkit Warning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One or more of the identified infections is a rootkit.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information, and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the rootkit has been identified and can be killed, because ofhow it exploits your system, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this rootkit, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can attempt to clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards.

I suggest a reformat of the system, but the decision is entirely up to you. Please let me know how you wish to continue in your next post.

Code:
One or more of the identified infections is a [b]rootkit[/b].

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information, and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the rootkit has been identified and can be killed, because ofhow it exploits your system, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this rootkit, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:
[url=http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10451]
How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?[/url]

[url=http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10063]When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall[/url]

We can attempt to clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards.

I suggest a reformat of the system, but the decision is entirely up to you. Please let me know how you wish to continue in your next post.