Support Forums

Full Version: (Canned Speech) Show Hidden Files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Show Hidden Files & Folders
Please set WinXP to show hidden/system files and folders so that you can find them to delete.
  • Please click Start and open My Computer.
  • On the Tools menu, click on Folder Options.
  • On the View tab, uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types".
  • Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and click Yes on the warning message. Under "Hidden files and folders", check "Show hidden files and folders".
  • Click Apply to All Folders.
  • Click OK and close My Computer.

Code:
[color=#4169E1][b]Show Hidden Files & Folders[/b][/color]
Please set WinXP to show hidden/system files and folders so that you can find them to delete.
[list]
[*]Please click [b]Start [/b]and open [b]My Computer.[/b]
[*]On the [b]Tools [/b]menu, click on [b]Folder Options[/b].
[*]On the [b]View [/b]tab, uncheck "[b]Hide file extensions for known file types[/b]".
[*][b]Uncheck [/b]"[b]Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)[/b]" and click [b]Yes [/b]on the warning message. Under "[b]Hidden files and folders[/b]", check "[b]Show hidden files and folders[/b]".
[*]Click [b]Apply to All Folders[/b].
[*]Click [b]OK [/b]and close My Computer.[/list]

===

Vista

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home
view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
2. Click on the View tab.
3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:
1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
9. Now Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files.

Code:
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
3. Click on the [b]Control Panel[/b] menu option.
4. When the control panel opens you can either be in [b]Classic View[/b] or [b]Control Panel Home[/b]
view:

If you are in the [b]Classic View[/b] do the following:
1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
2. Click on the View tab.
3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the [b]Control Panel Home view[/b] do the following:
1. Click on the [b]Appearance and Personalization[/b] link .
2. Click on [b]Show Hidden Files or Folders[/b].
3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the [b]Hidden files and folders[/b] section select the radio button labeled [b]Show hidden files and folders[/b].
6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled [b]Hide extensions for known file types[/b].
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled [b]Hide protected operating system files[/b].
8. Press the [b]Apply[/b] button and then the [b]OK[/b] button and shutdown My Computer.
9. Now Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files.