Support Forums

Full Version: Making a Computer Business!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well i would like to start out saying that I'm 16 and i would love to make a computer business. Such as a computer repair/cleanup shop. I have been telling people about me trying to start a business and i don't get much feedback if they need any help. My family members know that i am doing well in the computer field and if they ever need any help they would give me a call. I know most people would think that your to young to make a business just yet, but i am well trained due to my computer teacher. This past summer i helped my school's computer technician's out working on putting internet into trailers for our county. We learned how to terminate fiber and run CAT5E cable and terminate it as well. Like i have previously stated i am good with computers and i would love to figure out a way to start up a business.

Any tips would be appreciative.
Too young IMHO. Unless you can get your parents to be the middle men.
Dont want to sound harsh. But if i wanted someone to fix my pc. I would choose a credible place over a 16 year old who has no qualifications as such. Just experience.
Everyone has experience. Some more than others but most everyone has skills.
I did run a computer repair business for about 3 years. Even i had trouble with this problem.
Because i ran from home i lost business. Because i look the way i do i lost business. (heavily tattooed)
Its a hard one mate. I dont mean any disrespect to you. Far from it.
I am just telling you my experience.
That all said. People would not be concerned by getting a 16 year old to fix there pc if the said 16 year old was in a store ran by adults.
Its a hard situation but thats my experience anyway.
Idk man you might be to young, but if you have great knowledge then there you go
I would tend to agree with DAMINK with the whole too young thing, however there is a compromise you may wish to look into. Fix people's computers, and if word spreads around that you're good with that kind of stuff and that you know what you're doing just have people drop their computers off at your house, and fix them. Who knows, if you have enough customers maybe you could live up to your dream.
I started fixing my moms friend's computer and every month or so they'd end up breaking it again so I started charging them $15 to clean it up every time they got it full of viruses.

Eventually they told their friends and so on.

Now occasionally people call me to fix their computers for money.

It's pretty cool.

What I suggest is that you find a computer business near you and apply for a job there.

You can even write about your personal experience with computers (_____ amount of years) and mention how you helped your school out with the computers.

From there learn how it all works and then decide if you still want to own a computer business.
(10-04-2010, 04:44 PM)Sickshot Wrote: [ -> ]I started fixing my moms friend's computer and every month or so they'd end up breaking it again so I started charging them $15 to clean it up every time they got it full of viruses.

Eventually they told their friends and so on.

Now occasionally people call me to fix their computers for money.

It's pretty cool.

What I suggest is that you find a computer business near you and apply for a job there.

You can even write about your personal experience with computers (_____ amount of years) and mention how you helped your school out with the computers.

From there learn how it all works and then decide if you still want to own a computer business.

See the only problem with this is, i can't have a full time job with the computer business that is in my town. My friend applied there and he said that the only position they had was a full time job. I would love to work there but i can't. The business in town charges 150$ for a cleanup and to put a anti-virus on. I can do that for no charge at all. Smile
(10-04-2010, 04:47 PM)SniperRiflezzzz Wrote: [ -> ]See the only problem with this is, i can't have a full time job with the computer business that is in my town. My friend applied there and he said that the only position they had was a full time job. I would love to work there but i can't. The business in town charges 150$ for a cleanup and to put a anti-virus on. I can do that for no charge at all. Smile

Well, don't do it for free. Maybe charge $10 for what they would charge $150 for, and be sure to make a big deal about the price difference in any sales pitches you may encounter. If that's your biggest competitions there's definitely some room for you to challenge them especially because you have little to no expenses so you can give an outrageously low price.
(10-04-2010, 04:50 PM)Thomas® Wrote: [ -> ]Well, don't do it for free. Maybe charge $10 for what they would charge $150 for, and be sure to make a big deal about the price difference in any sales pitches you may encounter. If that's your biggest competitions there's definitely some room for you to challenge them especially because you have little to no expenses so you can give an outrageously low price.

My only problem is spreading the word of my business. I'm trying to but its really hard.
(10-04-2010, 04:52 PM)SniperRiflezzzz Wrote: [ -> ]My only problem is spreading the word of my business. I'm trying to but its really hard.

You've got to start out somewhere, people tell me about their computer problems all the time. I won't demand any pay, but they usually give me $10 just for my troubles.
(10-04-2010, 04:52 PM)SniperRiflezzzz Wrote: [ -> ]My only problem is spreading the word of my business. I'm trying to but its really hard.

You can try your local craigslist or newspaper ads to get the word out.

Tell people at school too, offer to do it free once and if they need help again it'll cost $10-$20.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5