Support Forums

Full Version: How to hide User Accounts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well it doesn't hide it. It just means you need to type the user name and password to login. This way, if you don't want your sister or mom knowing your login they can't see it. (Assuming she doesn't have admin rights)

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system.
So don't fudge up like an idiot. :3

Open up the Start Menu.

In the search area, type regedit and press Enter.

Click on Continue (Some people will need to type their password in the UAC prompt)

In regedit, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane, right click on dontdisplaylastusername and click on Modify.
[Image: hu1.png]

To Enable User Name and Password Login:
Type 1, click on OK and close regedit.
[Image: hu2.png]

NOTE: The next time you go to a logon screen, you will be required to enter your user name and password to logon to Vista for your user account.

To Restore the Default Logon:
Type 0 (number zero) and click on OK.
[Image: hu3.png]
Since you posted a tutorial from somewhere, or even if you wrote this yourself. I suggest that you should add in how to make a backup of the registry for the DWORD and/or string values you are editing.

This means, exporting the key (or folder) (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System) named System to a place on your computer, BEFORE you make any changes. Even if you follow everything right, if this isn't supported on a specific OS, then it might not work anyway and will still end up damaging your computer.

For example if someone tried this on Windows XP and the changes were not valid.

I wouldn't do this though since i'm happy enough just having to type a password in and not both at the same time, and my username is nothing to keep a secret from anyone that may end up trying to get into my computer Smile
Or instead of sending the users to the registry editor you could redirect them to the security policies of the computer, same thing for the ctrl+alt+del

Go to start and run then type
secpol.msc

Look under local policies then security options you'll have everything there.