Support Forums

Full Version: HD Pavillion DV2000 HDD Replacement!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I recently moved back home after a short lived stay in the Army. I don't have much money but am looking at going back to school for a GFX Design degree.. I found out that my aunt and uncles laptop crashed a while back and that they had it looked at. They were told that it would be cheaper for them to buy a new one then pay him to replace the HDD and such. I was just looking at HDDs online and they aren't that expensive.

The laptop is an HP Pavillion DV2000
I'm not sure what size the HDD was but when I google "HP Pavillion DV2000 Hard Drive" It comes up with a 40.0GB SATA HDD.
I just wanna make sure that I get the right HDD to put into it... Can someone who knows more about this kinda stuff help me out!?
I'm no laptop hardware expert but I believe most HD's for laptops are universal. Get a SATA HD and you'll do fine ;).

Someone else may want to comment on this.
Is it still under warranty? If so then you can get it replaced easily by calling HP Support at: 1-800-474-6836

They can re-image your HD, or Replace the whole thing.

If not, then see a computer repair shop around your town as a last minute resolution.

Don't replace it yourself if yo uhave no idea what you talking because thats one old laptop, my edition is HP Dv7000.
"Don't replace it yourself if you have no idea what you talking because thats one old laptop, my edition is HP Dv7000."

Actually using the help of others I found a users manual online that tells me exactly what to do! It's not still under warranty as you said its pretty old. It worked fine till the HDD crashed. So now I just gotta get the HDD. However I'm not sure how to do the OS on a new HDD. Do I just put the disk in once I have replaced the HDD and its like restoring it?
I'm sure it will work, yes. It's system bound but I believe that the HD won't be effecting it.
Get a new hard drive from some where SATA i should expect you'r laptop to be running on.
You need to get a Operating system a free OS will do you dont need windows.
Ubuntu is free you can request a free CD from there site.
Search Ubuntu in google Smile