Support Forums

Full Version: Quick help with a proverb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I need to do a few things with the proverb "Strike when the iron is hot." I just need some help with explaining the metaphores "strike" and "iron."

What I have written so far is :
Quote: The proverb "Strike while the iron is hot" originated in the middle ages, in the latin language. In latin, it is said as "Gvožđe se kuje dok je vruće," or iron is worked when it's still hot (strike while the iron is hot). Back then, proverbs were used to teach children foreign languages. In plain english, this proverb is trying to say to seize an oppertunity when it shows itself.

If any improvements could be implimented please say so =D
It's for 10th grade english hp btw
"seize an opportunity when it shows itself." Can't say it better than that.
When you have an opportunity to do something, do it before you lose your chance, that's basically it.
An example "Ask Omniscient any question you want while he is in a really good mood".
My example probaly sucks. Tongue
Actually your example is pretty good. If you ask him a question when hes in a bad mood you'd probably regret it eventually.

And good thing I wrote that part of the paragraph here. The power went out for me after I posted this thread and I didn't save what I had written.
Well this is my finished draft. If I can add/change anything to make it better please say so =D
Quote: The proverb "Strike while the iron is hot" originated in the middle ages, in the Latin language. In Latin, it is said as "Gvožđe se kuje dok je vruće," or iron is worked when it's still hot (strike while the iron is hot). Back then, proverbs were used to teach children foreign languages and not make them gape in boredom. In plain English, this proverb is trying to say, "seize an opportunity when it shows itself." The metaphor "strike" in this proverb is being compared to seize, and "iron" is being compared to an opportunity. In times like today, this proverb can be used in many situations, such as when you're playing a sport. You have to take every chance you can to help your team or score a point. You have to be tentative and be able to take some risks. In society, this can also apply to jobs. If you have an opportunity to get a job at a place you like, you should seize that opportunity with fortitude and apply for the job. If in a current job, you see an opportunity to do better than you currently can, you should strive to do your best and your chances of rewards steadily augment. If you seize most opportunities that you have and play your cards right, you can become opulent in no time.
I had to use 5 vocab words so I used the ones that sound weird in there D=

Its due tomorrow btw D=>
Damn ie9 with your double posting D=>
This is pretty good as it is.
Yea I already turned it in >.<
oh when it's marked tell us your grade Smile or is it for a bigger piece of work?
This is what it says online

Quote:Due:09/17/2010
Assigned:09/17/2010
Assignment:Quote Response #1: "Iron"
Catagory:Writing Application
Score:30.00
Weight:1.00
Weighted score:30.00
Total points:30.00
Total weighted points:30.0000
percentage:100.00%
So you got it 100% right Smile well done