Support Forums

Full Version: How much SSH time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm curious if anyone else idles in SSH sessions as much as I do. I have almost always 2-3 of them open idling on my second monitor. I mainly watch TOP or the firewall traffic. I usually spot DDOS attacks within 2-3 minutes before I even get any alerts.

Also I find SSH to be very soothing. Yes that's nerdy but the calm black and white screen (hate color ssh) with the neat rows of alphanumerics relaxes me.
I've never needed to idle SSH but I do enjoy idling in SF who's online list Big Grin
I don't idle SSH either, but I always have a local command line open.
I idle in 3 SSH clients, 1 Monitors bandwidth, 1 prints access attempts and security breaches. other Is just for quick jobs.
I'm on a laptop so there isn't much room for idling; I tend to have a few tabs in Terminal.app open most of the time dedicated to managing my servers; top, security log, quick jobs; nothing really interesting there. I'm a big user of `screen` though.
I usually have one SSH session open, hate how it seems to time out on me just when I need it.
(09-07-2010, 10:41 AM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious if anyone else idles in SSH sessions as much as I do. I have almost always 2-3 of them open idling on my second monitor. I mainly watch TOP or the firewall traffic. I usually spot DDOS attacks within 2-3 minutes before I even get any alerts.

Also I find SSH to be very soothing. Yes that's nerdy but the calm black and white screen (hate color ssh) with the neat rows of alphanumerics relaxes me.

I can never seem to get away from it. At home I always have at least one client running. And at work I have access to our testing and staging servers as well as the Git server. So over the course of a day I will have SSH up and running for at least one of them.
I always idle SSH, just watching all of the traffic on my site!
It makes me feel important when I do. Smile
After installing ubuntu the first thing I did was change the profile colour for SSH terminal, looked disgusting purple.
Pages: 1 2