Support Forums

Full Version: [Help] Seagate Portable HDD.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I'm having trouble with my Seagate portable HDD. First, my specs:

Windows Vista
Seagate Portable FreeAgent Go 880gb
Dell Inspiron 15xx

Anywho, the problem. So I was using my HDD and I was having a blast, I've had it just over a week. One day, I plug it in and it says "Found New Hardware", and it tells me "Windows needs to install drivers for your Unknown Device". So I follow the prompts and it doesn't work? I've tried a lot of things:

Rebooting
Different USB ports
Different Laptops
Manually loading drivers by searching for drivers in C:\Windows

This is driving me crazy because all my personal files are on their. Last resort, I'll send it back to Seagate, but I really hope it doesn't come down to that because as I mentioned earlier, I need those files.

Extra Info:

In device manager, it comes up as an unknown device under the "Other devices" tab.
When plugged in, it beeps and the lights flash.
probably the external usb case of your free agent is defective. if you can open its casing but probably that will void its warranty, test the hdd and plug it in a desktop via Sata cable to test if the hdd is defective. but i suggest to just return it to seagate since their support is good probably it will just take 2-3 days to rma it.
Yeah, I will probably have to RMA it but I really hope it doesn't come to that. Like I said in my first post, I have personal files and things I need.
then you have to open it, remove the external case to get the hdd, then plug it in a laptop or a desktop, are you in HF? im more active there. if your a member there post it in the computing section.
if it works in a desktop or laptop internally, then you have just have to buy a 2.5" enclosure to make it external again. i have this problem twice, my enclosure is just the problem not my hdd.
Ive posted the same thread on HF. I don't know if I'll do that because it will void my warranty?
i can't find your post on hf.

well 70% the defective is the usb case, so probably there is no way to save your files via the usb cable.
the only way now is RMA.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-P...td-p/36162
Agreed with Dexdrex. The port or the hard drive itself is most likely defective. Request a new one from Seagate. Good luck!