Support Forums

Full Version: [TUT] Guide to buying the right laptop for you [TUT]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok as a computer sales man, and a technitian at futurshop, ive been asked this question many times; What laptop should i buy. (oubviously i tell them the one that costs the most is better ( i get more cash XD))

But anyways heres a small guide to help you

For casual people: people who chat, surf the web, word documents ect...

Your best computer of choice will depend on If you will be watching videos or not.

If you are you are better of with a 15.6 inch screen and bigger.

Now if the computers has 4gbs of ram thats all you need.

Now if you are planning on saving alot of things, music, videos, huge files, a big hardrive is needed. Then for you i would go with a 500GB harddrive to a 1TB.

No i wont go into details with videos cards since you wont really be using them much.a computer ranging from the 300, to 600$ price range is perfect for you!

Good computer brand brand names for you would be dell, asus, acer, tosiba.
Remember to always inform yourself on the garantee before hand, and you should play around with the laptop just a bit to be sure you like it. For example the mouse.

A gaming Laptop

Now many people who are looking to buy a gaming laptop usually have an idea what to look for, now heres a few hints, and tips to help yo uout in your next big decission.

What games will you be playing, and what is your budget!

Remember if you are planning on playing games on your laptop, be sure to get a laptop that will play these certain games with a nice smooth framerate

Next is COOLING
Having a computer close down on you in the middle of a game of Starcraft 2 is the most iritating thing ever. Be sure your laptop dosent suffer from overheat

Dont go overboard
If your going to be playing games like counter strike source ( old game)
And you are 100% sure that you wont be better games in the near future, dont get a kick ass 4000$ laptop. That would be useless. Go for what you want with a little extra. Just to be sure

Performance not brandname
This is a problem i also have. Everyone has heard the name alienware. These computers in the 4000$ (fully equiped) are indeed good computers, and with a nice style on them. But out of that 4000$ you will be paying from 1000 - 2000$ in brandname. Go for something a little bit less known. It dosent have to be a company that no one has ever heard before, but dont do the mistake of buying brandname. Im not saying thy are bad. Im just saying the ratio between power and price is much in the favor of price

Well this has been a small brief understanding on what to buy. I will be updating this post and making new posts. If you have any questions go ahead and post them and ill answer them ^^
Very basic. Did not really cover the topic well enough IMHO.
To simply say having a computer close down in the middle of a game is annoying is not enough.
There should be detail as to why the laptop is overheating. And perhaps even solutions or atleast strong reasoning.
Hell i have a great laptop but unfortunately it gets hot all the time. To the point i cant even use it.
Anyways. Final note. Get rid of the red text. Make it orange or something softer. I can hardly read it.
(08-12-2010, 10:58 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Very basic. Did not really cover the topic well enough IMHO.
To simply say having a computer close down in the middle of a game is annoying is not enough.
There should be detail as to why the laptop is overheating. And perhaps even solutions or atleast strong reasoning.
Hell i have a great laptop but unfortunately it gets hot all the time. To the point i cant even use it.
Anyways. Final note. Get rid of the red text. Make it orange or something softer. I can hardly read it.

Ok then ^^ sorry first tut ever, and well i didint know to much what the knowledge of people here is XD

anyways

Why does your computer overheat

There are many reason why a computer could over heat, but the main one is blockage of the ventilation holes. Ive seen people playing games with their laptop on a crowded desk with all the ventialtion holes being blocked by either coffee mugs, paper ect.. and then complaining about it. SO oubviously playing in a well ventilated area is always great.

Second reason is not your fault but the company who put the laptop together. These days they try to make the laptops so small. And insert CPUs, and GPUs, which create so much heat, that the computer cant take it. ( ya im looking at you AMD)

Lastly fans, and heatsinks
MOst of the time, laptops have custom heatsinks, and fan system that produce the airflow that will cool your system down. But sometimes these companies insert fans that dosent send enough heat away, of heatsinks, which instead of cooling, they become tinkking bombs. Wating to overheat.

Verdict

So when buying a laptop remember to :
1) take the laptop a listen and feel to the fan while a 100% (use speed fan (download it) and make sure the fan is throwing alot of air, and somewhat making a harder sound when working
2) Test, all laptops usually have a 14 days "if you dont like it bring it back" so always test it out during those 14 days, bombard it with plenty of work
3) keep it well ventilated, and keep your laptop clean ^^
Second reason was the one i expected to see. Sure first does happen over time.
But lets say you buy a new laptop as the thread states then you would only expect the second.
A quick bios check after power shut off will always tell this. But good thread man.

One final thing.
If you buy a new laptop you should not need to check to make sure the fan is working. Should be all but silent if new.
Should not even need to care about keeping it clean. Although i do agree with this.
New means new. It should perform out of the box perfectly or i would send it back.
I do agree it should be tested as heavily as possible.
Hell take a usb stick with you and have 5 x 20 meg vid files on it. And load them all at once with windows and see if it can handle running properly.
Dunno man. But i am big on taking sticks with me if i am to try test a PC.
Easier than trying to download crap to test. Or even worse use the tests the shops will offer you lol.
(08-12-2010, 11:30 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Second reason was the one i expected to see. Sure first does happen over time.
But lets say you buy a new laptop as the thread states then you would only expect the second.
A quick bios check after power shut off will always tell this. But good thread man.

One final thing.
If you buy a new laptop you should not need to check to make sure the fan is working. Should be all but silent if new.
Should not even need to care about keeping it clean. Although i do agree with this.
New means new. It should perform out of the box perfectly or i would send it back.
I do agree it should be tested as heavily as possible.
Hell take a usb stick with you and have 5 x 20 meg vid files on it. And load them all at once with windows and see if it can handle running properly.
Dunno man. But i am big on taking sticks with me if i am to try test a PC.
Easier than trying to download crap to test. Or even worse use the tests the shops will offer you lol.

Completly forgot of the bios, anyways, shops look at you mad when you play in bios.

HEck when i bought my laptop i install 3d mark vinatage and i let it run for about 40 mins XD, worked well, without overheating, so i bought it XD
See you really want my opinion?
Most Computer shops (salesmen) are exactly that.
Salesmen. They generally dont offer solutions. Rather sell you the problems.
To come out with a statement like.
"Completely forgot about the bios" show me you really do lack knowledge in this field.
Or your TUT was simply slapped together as i first suspected.
Harsh as it sounds. Just speaking what i think man.
just get a computer.
(08-13-2010, 01:13 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]See you really want my opinion?
Most Computer shops (salesmen) are exactly that.
Salesmen. They generally dont offer solutions. Rather sell you the problems.
To come out with a statement like.
"Completely forgot about the bios" show me you really do lack knowledge in this field.
Or your TUT was simply slapped together as i first suspected.
Harsh as it sounds. Just speaking what i think man.

I agree to be honest, that's why I'd never pay for any company to fix my PC, not that I'd need to anyways.
Dell is not a good brand of laptop, i have had 3 dells and each one has died within 1.4 years of purchase, and all they have to do is just a little bit of coding every here and there.
The reason why i like to recommend dell is that they have good Warrenties, and they have good monthly plans
Pages: 1 2