Support Forums

Full Version: Defrag Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running windows vista on a compaq presario laptop. Whenever i try to defrag my harddrive, nothing happens. It used to work just fine but now when I try nothing happens at all. ?????!?!!?1?!?1/! whaattT?!/!!?2?1?/!?/1/?
Well you do have Vista, you should either upgrade to 7 or downgrade to XP if you can. If clicking "Defragment disk" doesn't work then try clicking "Analyze disk" first, if that works you can defrag from there.
De fragmenting is over rated IMHO anyway.
I understand its purpose entirely. But ultimately the time it takes to do a defrag vs a reinstall?
I would reinstall every time myself.
And to be honest i have found defrags to be as problematic as profitable.
Setup a good backup. All your core needs at your fingertips in a separate partition. Then every few months format.
Its the best way to go by far. And if any nasties are able to get into your system then you make short work of them.
Keeps windows running crisp and fast too.
I'm with DAMINK™, maybe consider reinstalling?
(08-04-2010, 08:29 PM)ramsay2113 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running windows vista on a compaq presario laptop. Whenever i try to defrag my harddrive, nothing happens. It used to work just fine but now when I try nothing happens at all. ?????!?!!?1?!?1/! whaattT?!/!!?2?1?/!?/1/?

Try doing the defrag in Safe Mode. Or, try it normally without your antivirus resident scanner enabled.

Safe Mode (If you don't know).
  • Restart your computer.
  • When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows Vista Advanced Boot Options.
  • Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow keys.
  • Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Vista Safe Mode.
  • When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Vista will enter Safe mode.
  • Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.
I usually go with reformatting myself
Trying to PM Ameise, but new to the site and need 10 posts to be able to PM someone! : / sorry for useless post...
Download ERD Commander and boot from its CD and defrag from there.