Support Forums

Full Version: MyBB performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

Can someone tell me a little bit more about MyBB its performance? If I have this stats:

Topics: 500,000, Posts: 4,000,000, Members: 180,000

And there are each day 500 users active how much bandwidth and what kind of server should I need? And if I have this stats with PunBB?

Thanks
Noobiew
There is no difference between the both. That means used bandwidth does not depend on the board you use.

I hope this explanation will be of use to you:

http://www.findmyhosting.com/bandwidth.htm

The kind of server you need depends on what you are placing on your website. If you do not require .NET you should go with a Linux server.

For more answers please reply in this topic.
Thanks Smile. Well if I just do a standard MyBB install (with no new themes and plugins) and create 10 forums with all one sub-forum in it. And I got these stats:

Topics: 500,000, Posts: 4,000,000, Members: 180,000

Could I run this on shared hosting (I know it is a bad question but just want to know). And if I choose punBB with these settings?

Thanks
It would all depend on what kind of server it is hosted from and how many others are using it for their hosting and what they run.

But if you already know you will have 180.000 users I suggest you do not take shared hosting. It might cause trouble if any other high-traffic website are ran at it.

If this is your first experience with administrating a website I would like to warn you that 180.000 users are a lot and that there are not many websites that attract that many people.

Also shared hosting does not offer that great support often. And if you have 180.000 members you will need the best support possible knowing big sites like that are often a prey to hackers.
How much members/posts could run on standard shared hosting? With 450MB space and 25GB Bandwidth? With standard I mean hosting like bluehost. Sorry for the bad explanation :$. And I understand it it a lot of work to get so much members and posts but I am just interested :p.

Thanks
I honestly have no idea. I never administrated a website that big.

But reading this link and using the following converter:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_si...e_web_page

http://www.unitconversion.org/data-stora...rsion.html

A calculation could be done. 25 Gig is similar to 26214400 Kb.. dividing this trough 180.000 would allow each of your members to visit about 145 pages a month.
OP, I used to run a hosting company until I closed it August 1st.

The thing you need to be most worried about is server load and resource usage, i.e. RAM/CPU. The average MyBB clean install with no theme and no plugins can run with about 40-60 active members at the same time. Each time something is clicked on the forum, there is load generated from the database calls that are issued.

Don't worry about bandwidth/disk space. A package that is 450 MB space and 25GB bandwidth should be fine for shared hosting if you have less than 40-60 active members. If you have more than that, it's time to move on up to a semi-dedicated. Which will handle about 80-100 users. Than a VPS, which, with the high end ones you get for about $80, you should be able to run off an equal share, 2 GB dedicated VPS until about 150 users. After that, it's time to move to a dedicated server.

Each user, when they click, will generate transfer (where the bandwidth measurment comes into play). As long as you keep a tight handle on images, i.e. no rediculous avatars or signatures, you should be fine. Start out with a shared host.

If you want more info, the tut in my sig could help you out some, there is a section talking about the different kinds of hosting.

Also, where did you get those stats from? Did you just buy a large DB? Because if you had been growing the forum you would know what you needed lol.

And remember, the larger the DB, the longer it is going to take to make queries into it each time someone clicks somewhere, and the more load that will be generated.
Thanks so with "standard" shared hosting I can have something like 40/50 people online at the same time? Oke, how should this be with PunBB?