Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web Design Help
So my question (bare with it please, It may sound weird at first, but when I get the site launched it will make sense)....So I have an IQ test at the beginning of my site, and I want to make it so that if you pass the IQ test, your IP is set into the database so that you have access to the site all the time, and when you click "enter the site" at the home page it skips the IQ part and goes directly to the main page. Is there a way to code it so that it can do this, and will permanently ban anyone who fails the IQ test?

I know this sounds really weird at the moment, but this will make sense when the site is launched.

Also, will it be coded in PHP, Java....Please help....

Thanks
I see a huge problem. Considering most people now have dynamic IPs it won't work. Why not instead allow them to register after passing the IQ test?

Also with proxies being as popular as they are now a days it's not good to use IPs for another reason.
That's a good point, allow them to register to the site, and make it you can't access any pages unless they are logged in...gahh this is going to take longer than I planned lol
Yes there is a way but I wouldn't recommend doing it with the IP since it can change.
Better way would be to send email with random password to the user who passed the test and save the same password into the database.
Skiping the test once passed can be done with cookies if the cookie was deleted you ask the user for a password again, if he doesn't know a password he should do the test
What programming languages do I have to know for this, NinjaGeek?
(10-09-2009, 07:32 PM)CryptoSoldier Wrote: What programming languages do I have to know for this, NinjaGeek?

PHP will be the only one you'll need to do such things.
You can get a basic overview of PHP in this tutorial

http://www.supportforums.net/showthread.php?tid=335
This is possible but as mentioned do not log the IP and store it inside the database.

I suggest that you ask the people their name (what will become their login name) at the beginning of your IQ test and store it in a variable and use it later. I you are not good with using variables you could already store the name in the database and connect it to a password by updating the database at the end.

Knowing a lot of people end up with a lot of spam in the mail and do not feel like running trough all of it each time they want to visit your site it would be better to let them decide the password they use then to create it at random. You could do this at the end of the IQ test and store it in the database or use the databases update function.

Do not forget to use the MD5() function when storing the passwords:

http://www.w3schools.com/php/func_string_md5.asp

http://se2.php.net/md5
(10-09-2009, 07:13 PM)CryptoSoldier Wrote: So my question (bare with it please, It may sound weird at first, but when I get the site launched it will make sense)....So I have an IQ test at the beginning of my site, and I want to make it so that if you pass the IQ test, your IP is set into the database so that you have access to the site all the time, and when you click "enter the site" at the home page it skips the IQ part and goes directly to the main page. Is there a way to code it so that it can do this, and will permanently ban anyone who fails the IQ test?

I know this sounds really weird at the moment, but this will make sense when the site is launched.

Also, will it be coded in PHP, Java....Please help....

Thanks

This is not web design. This is web development, and your question has absolutely nothing to do with web design.

(10-09-2009, 07:18 PM)Alex Wrote: I see a huge problem. Considering most people now have dynamic IPs it won't work. Why not instead allow them to register after passing the IQ test?

Also with proxies being as popular as they are now a days it's not good to use IPs for another reason.

Most people don't know the full extent of cookies. Many still do not know about cookies. He could make a cookie which would help him keep people banned, and he could have the cookie give his server the User's actual IP address in the event that they're using a proxy.
I was originally going to suggest cookies but then your limited to the browser and computer. You can of course transport the cookie with you but it's a pain.
(10-10-2009, 11:17 AM)beansofham Wrote: This is not web design. This is web development, and your question has absolutely nothing to do with web design.

Actually, it still has do with web design. But, you want to be Mr. Bigshot and start being a dick to people, you go right ahead.

As others have mentioned OP, if they pass the test then at the end they are given the ability to create an account. Creating the account creates the cookie at the same time. When the account is created the information is stored in the DB.

They are given the option to login before taking the test.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazing site for free web design templates. Elektrisk 31 7,936 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Last Post: common thief
  Free/Cheap Web Design and Development AirbornEagle 0 722 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Last Post: AirbornEagle
  The essence of web design DimmickLambie 0 578 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Last Post: DimmickLambie
  Web Design Michaelmhmhmh 25 5,845 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Michaelmhmhmh
  Introduction to Web Design nextlive 0 685 12-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Last Post: nextlive