Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theoretcial Suggestion.
I obviously don't know if this would work or not, hence the title,
and I'll do my best to describe the idea behind it.

It may kind of relate to a botnet concept, but I don't know.

The idea could be described as a 'ProtectionNet' or something like that.

The purpose of it, being that if some clever coding dude, could maybe write some software, if it's possible that is, and when installed, this software could maybe
dedicate a certain amount of your system resources, to, for example, help protect a site such as this, from a DDoS attack. Like a combined type of NetShield,
although that word does Google, but something like that.

Like I say, I don't know if this is possible or not, but maybe with some clever type of filtration system in the software, maybe the source of the
attack, could possibly be re-directed through a series of virtual tunnels, if that is possible, to wherever, or maybe even re-directed back at the source of the attack.

Having said that, I'm sure that many members, myself included, would be happy to reserve a certain amount of system resources, dedicated to the
protection of SF and am wondering if such a concept is at all possible?
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
So how are you going to re-direct the packets back to the source, maybe back to the one bot which is ddosing, but not the source of the botnet..
FREE PSN CARDS, XBOX LIVE, GAMES + MORE VIEW THREAD Here Yeye
A good idea. But I think that Omni has excellent skills enough to be able to configure a thing such as that if possible, hence his previous posts on Hack Forums, about the latter not being affected, nor worried with DDoS attacks. I do think that he will try his best to keep this site secure and well-maintained as well.
(10-09-2009, 11:26 AM)Codine Wrote: So how are you going to re-direct the packets back to the source, maybe back to the one bot which is ddosing, but not the source of the botnet..

like I said, I don't know anything about any of this, it was just an idea.

Maybe I've watched too much sci-fi...;)
(10-09-2009, 11:26 AM)Paradoxum Wrote: A good idea. But I think that Omni has excellent skills enough to be able to configure a thing such as that if possible, hence his previous posts on Hack Forums, about the latter not being affected, nor worried with DDoS attacks. I do think that he will try his best to keep this site secure and well-maintained as well.

Yeah, you are probably right there.

NVM, just a mad suggestion, to have a bit of a break from the tech stuff...;)

Hah, it is alright. Oui It is good to know that members of SF are willing to try their best ideas to help keep the site safe.
Something like this is possible, but not needed here. This is where many scientific research projects get the raw processing power to do their experiments. People donate parts of their resources to be used during certain hours of the day.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
That sounds possible, and could be useful in the event of a DDoS attack, but I have a feeling SF won't get attack like HF did.
I acknowledge all that has been said here.

Maybe no reason just yet, but when this site becomes mega-succesful,
which imo, is very likely, I thnk that others will possibly be jealous of its success and then maybe try to start some possible troublemaking.

I hope not though, I really do, and am hoping that any potential threats, will be dealt with swiftly and effectively.

I'm thinking there may be issues once the people that were DDOSing HF figure out about this. Until the sale is final at least.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
(10-10-2009, 03:41 AM)Grizzly Wrote: I'm thinking there may be issues once the people that were DDOSing HF figure out about this. Until the sale is final at least.

What, you think that they might try it here? I hope not!
Surely, this site must be well protected, I would have thought, having experienced that trouble at HF. Maybe it's already protected against that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion]HF Award [Suggestion lil weezy baby 20 5,331 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  [Suggestion] Poster Award [/Suggestion] Sam 16 3,747 10-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Last Post: DAMINKā„¢
  [SUGGESTION] MOTM [/SUGGESTION] Sam 21 3,074 08-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Sam
  [Suggestion]Batch File Section[Suggestion] Thomas 10 2,154 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Reality
  [Suggestion]Show Rep Giver's Rep[Suggestion] Thomas 8 1,724 07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Jordan L.