Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web Development (The Basics).
Web design comes in many shapes and languages. This is an overview of the languages available. All can be studied at www.w3schools.com.

For any more ideas on chapters please write in this topic and they will be added.

Chapter 1: Speaking web design.
Chapter 2: What is a CMS.
Chapter 3: Web hosting.
Chapter 4: Warez.
Chapter 5: How do I get a (free) domain.
Chapter 6: Web hosting control panels.

Chapter 1.

Some of the languages described are capable of doing more then is mentioned here. However this is written with the eye on the beginning web designer.

(x)HTML.
At the core of most websites you will find the (x)HTML language. It is used to build up the basics of the website. Tables, lists, forms, it all is done with and written in (x)HTML.

CSS.
CSS is used for formatting and improving the looks of your website. Some examples are text formatting, border formatting and table formatting.

Javascript.
Javascript allows the web designer to program events that need to happen when a certain action is performed and can be used to validate data.

PHP.
PHP is a server side language allowing the user of a website to communicate with the server. Forums, CMS systems and web applications are often written in PHP.

SQL.

SQL is the language used to communicate with databases like MySQL and Oracle. However most have database depending special commands the basics can e learned at the provided link.

Chapter 2.

CMS stands for Content Management System. These systems allow you to manage the content on your website often with just a few mouse clicks. Examples of CMS are, Drupal, Joomla and Mambo. CMS systems can be written in several languages.

Chapter 3.

Web hosting comes in many shapes. Some are free and others are paid hosts. Free hosts often require you to show adds on you website in order for them to pay back the given web space and bandwidth.

Chapter 4.

The word warez refers to material that is pirated. In other words MP3 files, videos and other written or recorded material you are not the owner of.

Chapter 5.

The word free here refers that there are no real "free" domains only sub domains ( this excludes .tk). A .com, .net, .org, .info is always a paid domain. These can be perched often at the same place you get your web hosting or trough a company selling them. Often you sign up to use a certain domain for 1 or 2 years and after that period you decide if you want to claim it for longer.

The sub domains mentioned above mean that the domain is part of an already existing domain. For example "www.mysite.existingdomain.com".

Chapter 6.

Web hosting control panels allow you to easily manage all the content of your website, traffic and mail accounts. There is a big difference in control panels but the one most often provided is Cpanel.
Hmm... not THAT bad, atleast you wrote something for SF.

Thanks! Smile
(10-10-2009, 03:18 AM)Headshot Wrote: Hmm... not THAT bad, atleast you wrote something for SF.

Thanks! Smile

It is meant for beginners. Looking at HF there where a lot of people that did not had these basics.
This is not web design, this is actually web development.

Web design is when you practice the art of organizing content, color, shapes, usability, etc. of your web site. It's all relates to psychological stuff. Web design is not when you actually use the code. Web design, and web development are completely different things. You only spoke of web development.

I request that this thread be renamed to Web Development (The Basics)
(10-10-2009, 11:08 AM)beansofham Wrote: This is not web design, this is actually web development.

Web design is when you practice the art of organizing content, color, shapes, usability, etc. of your web site. It's all relates to psychological stuff. Web design is not when you actually use the code. Web design, and web development are completely different things. You only spoke of web development.

I request that this thread be renamed to Web Development (The Basics)

No offense but in theory you might be right. However to design a website you will need to know the basics of web development.

Anyway I appreciate your look at it and can agree with you so I renamed the topic.
Ok, I have some points on this post.

1. You should go more indepth, especially if you are trying to cater to the beginner.
2. Talk a little about ASP for Widow's server programming.
3. Provide some links to the Gearch challenged for the CMS' you talked about.
4. Why even mention Warez?
5. Quite a few hosts offer a free domain with sign up. Usually registration is valid for 1 year then you have to register. I recommend not registering with a host though.
6. What is the most often preferred control panel for Windows servers? Do you know? You can't just assume everyone will be on a nix server.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ecommerce website development luthermartin097 0 656 12-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Last Post: luthermartin097
  ECommerce Website Development BrunswickJoseph 1 813 09-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Last Post: john34mart
  Free/Cheap Web Design and Development AirbornEagle 0 722 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Last Post: AirbornEagle
  My New Huatulco Vacation Website [Development] AceInfinity 5 1,594 03-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Last Post: Mr Kitty Cat
  Need somebody that really knows what there talking about with website development! (S JasonMandela 11 2,339 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MarkW7